Matcccc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Hi, could anyone explain how University loans work for international students. Like do they give you money to live while your going there or do they give you a place to live and food and then you have to go to work yourself to get money for personal things? Could anyone explain?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Do you mean scholarships/bursaries from the university?
Or are you talking about independent loans?
Matcccc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Do you mean scholarships/bursaries from the university?
Or are you talking about independent loans?
Where you get the money from university, I think it’s the bursary.
pet973
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 23 hours ago
(Original post by Matcccc)
Hi, could anyone explain how University loans work for international students. Like do they give you money to live while your going there or do they give you a place to live and food and then you have to go to work yourself to get money for personal things? Could anyone explain?
A college might give you an international student loan on top of your scholarship/bursary, it’s normally for a fairly small amount (say 5k per year), and you’ll pay it back after you graduate. You can generally work on campus (max 10-20 hrs a week, depending on the school)- money will be paid to you every couple of weeks and you can use that for personal expenses. You won’t be able to work outside campus as that’s against the rules of your student visa.
Living expenses, housing and meals, on top of tuition, must be paid before the start of the year, minus any financial aid you get, ofc.
Matcccc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
(Original post by pet973)
A college might give you an international student loan on top of your scholarship/bursary, it’s normally for a fairly small amount (say 5k per year), and you’ll pay it back after you graduate. You can generally work on campus (max 10-20 hrs a week, depending on the school)- money will be paid to you every couple of weeks and you can use that for personal expenses. You won’t be able to work outside campus as that’s against the rules of your student visa.
Living expenses, housing and meals, on top of tuition, must be paid before the start of the year, minus any financial aid you get, ofc.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (43)
12.87%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (91)
27.25%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.96%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
8.38%

Watched Threads