Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I’ve already made friends but just haven’t found many people like my friends from home. Just wondering if there are any ways to meet more people. I’ve joined two societies but neither of them quite did it for me.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Finding people w/ common interests it usually a good way to start, like a game or subject

After that just talk to them regularly and try do stuff together
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I’ve already made friends but just haven’t found many people like my friends from home. Just wondering if there are any ways to meet more people. I’ve joined two societies but neither of them quite did it for me.
Hey Anonymous,

It's great if you've already found some friends to fit in with , and I'd advise carrying on cultivating these and sometimes, it takes a little while for you to get comfortable with people like you would be with friends from home who you've known longer. However, it's totally understandable if you're not sure you quite click together, and if the societies weren't quite right for you- at least you gave them a go!

I think while societies and sports can be a great resource for forming friendships based on common interests (perhaps have a look at some more that might appeal, if you're feeling up to it!), they're not the only place you find people within university. I've found lectures and practicals can be a great place to meet people, as doing the same course, you're likely to have similar interests with at least a few people. Starting a conversation based on this, or perhaps something amusing that occurred during the lecture can be a great way to talk to someone that perhaps you didn't realise you thought alike to .

Perhaps also try getting involved with volunteering or a part-time job, if you feel capable of managing these around your study. This could be within the university (such as a student ambassador role) or external to it. This can just be another way to make new connections and see what comes of them.

Another thing I would advise is not to stress too much about forcing friendships. Since everyone is unique, so will every friendship you form be. Furthermore, throughout your uni journey (as I've found, even in my 3rd year), you'll meet a range of different people- some you'll instantly click with, others maybe not. It can take a while for you to settle into the group you're happy with. And that's totally normal and okay! It will happen, sometimes it takes a little time, and a little relaxing, rather than stressing about the fact you haven't found the right place yet

Hope this helps a little and good luck with your university experience

Ceri (3rd year WECS student at Suffolk)
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Hi there,

It's good to hear that you've already made some friends and that you've joined some societies

My advice to you would be to say yes to every opportunity you like the look of, and go from there. For example, if your department is holding a trip that really interests you - go on it and you'll be able to make friends with people who have the same interests as you. As well, see if there are any flexible part time student work you can do in your city. For example, see if the University has any job roles going - I currently work as a Careers Coach and I've made some great friends from that role (and I make some money too!) that go to my Uni!

I know it's easy for me to say this but it's definitely quality over quantity! It's so easy to compare university experiences due to everything people put on social media, but it's important to remind yourself that this is only their specially selected highlights

I hope that's helped

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads