What careers could I go into with a film production degree?

Watch this thread
Alfiesjushshshs
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi - I’m very interested in film, in particular film production, how videos of all sorts are made, story/script writing, cameras etc. And I’m just wondering what kind of careers would a degree in film production lead me into? Also, how realistic is it to get a job in the film industry? And finally, will a film production degree help me get into any other areas of work?

By the way, just want to emphasise I’m talking about a film production degree not a film studies degree, as I know the two subjects are very different.
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Biscuit making, receptionist, pretend cow. Most grad schemes that don’t require a specific degree, the usual.
saz25
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
At the top of my mind i can only see few options which are
1. you go into the production of films weather that be sound, research, camreas ....
2. you could also work for a youtuber or create your own youtube account and do the editing and reserch ....
3. you could get into working for big businesses and create their promotional videos for there companies

However there might be more options hope this helps but sorry not sure on how competive this is but my guess is that it is especially depending on the sector you want to get into . It is also one of th industeys which you have to work hard to climb up the ladder in as they prefer people to have lots of expeirence in the field
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Alfiesjushshshs)
Hi - I’m very interested in film, in particular film production, how videos of all sorts are made, story/script writing, cameras etc. And I’m just wondering what kind of careers would a degree in film production lead me into? Also, how realistic is it to get a job in the film industry? And finally, will a film production degree help me get into any other areas of work?

By the way, just want to emphasise I’m talking about a film production degree not a film studies degree, as I know the two subjects are very different.
Hi!
I would highly recommend looking at uni pages for film production as they will often have a section on graduate jobs and what sort of roles people go into. Of course it also depends on you. The degree will help you to an extent but how much work you put into your work, applications, etc, will influence whether you get a job in the industry or not.
Often people may start off as runners in certain departments, do internships, or go into junior roles and build their way up to the more senior roles.
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Alfiesjushshshs)

Hi Alfiesjushshshs

I thought this page on the ScreenSkills website might be useful to you. It lists a lot of the roles in film and television production, what those roles do, what skills are important for that role and the many steps you can take to put you closer towards that specific role. It really is an amazing resource to just have a browse on and think about what stands out to you. Hope it helps, and best of luck if you go on to study film production!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads