Feel like i'm missing out on so much I hate it

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just started 2nd year and currently commute to uni and it takes less than an hour the train to get there, my first year was all online so I didn't go into accommodation and my parents were quite opposed to it at the time anyway. I've been looking for student accommodation at the city I want to study in for a long time but there is an accommodation crisis going on which means all places are sold out and i don't want to move into a flat with random people who are a lot older. :/ As for my uni experience, i've made no friends due to online classes and this year it's so hard fitting in as everyone is already buddied up. I attended my classes which most of the time I just sit alone and people talk to me for a while then leave with their friends. I hate it so much here and i'm missing out on so much due to commuting. I haven't joined any group chats as I don't have FB either i just hate it so much and i don't know what to do or how to make friends it's so tough and boring sitting in the library like a loner
rawdoncrawley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i would join groupchats/ FB, join societies and just take it easy. lots of people are in your boat. once you become comfortable with your own company, friends will come, trust me
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just started 2nd year and currently commute to uni and it takes less than an hour the train to get there, my first year was all online so I didn't go into accommodation and my parents were quite opposed to it at the time anyway. I've been looking for student accommodation at the city I want to study in for a long time but there is an accommodation crisis going on which means all places are sold out and i don't want to move into a flat with random people who are a lot older. :/ As for my uni experience, i've made no friends due to online classes and this year it's so hard fitting in as everyone is already buddied up. I attended my classes which most of the time I just sit alone and people talk to me for a while then leave with their friends. I hate it so much here and i'm missing out on so much due to commuting. I haven't joined any group chats as I don't have FB either i just hate it so much and i don't know what to do or how to make friends it's so tough and boring sitting in the library like a loner
Hey Anonymous

I definitely understand why this would be tough- it's not fun to feel like you're the odd one out .
However, I would suggest that just because you're feeling like this doesn't mean it's the case! Especially with the online lectures situation, many people may have found it difficult to meet new people and get out there- some people are just better at hiding that fact than others!

You've mentioned that people will talk to you in classes- perhaps ask if they wanted to grab lunch together one day, or if you could tag along with their group for a while- I know it seems strange, but sometimes people are just as nervous to ask you to join them as you are about not being asked! Asking them along to a lunch or more relaxed situation highlights the fact you'd like to get to know them more outside lectures and could just be the input you need!

Alternatively, if you don't feel up to this, maybe have a look at the sports, societies and social events your university and students union offers- these can be a great place to get to know a bunch of different people! They're often conscious of people who commute or have other commitments and should aim for a range of events at different times to appeal to everyone. Giving them a go can lead you to new friends and help you make memories to prevent that feeling of missing out!

Not sure what university you're at, but I know Suffolk (my university) offers mentors- both for general university life and for joining in with sports and societies. Perhaps this sort of scheme would be beneficial if you're finding it a little difficult to navigate, or if you're nervous about joining into clubs alone! Universities always have support services available too- they're there to help you so don't feel afraid to take advantage of them!

Remember, just because you commute, or you're in 2nd year or you don't have facebook doesn't mean people aren't keen to get to know you and what you have to offer. I'm in my 3rd year now and I'm still meeting new people, and friendship groups are still shifting around, so please don't think that everyone's buddied up and you're left out! There's always room for you with the right set of people, and you will find that

Good luck with continuing your university journey, hope this helps

Ceri (3rd year WECS student at Suffolk)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads