The Student Room Group

Do I stand the chance of getting onto psychology at a top uni

I am currently in year 12, studying philosophy, psychology and sociology. I know it’s preferable for me to be doing more science subjects since my options are “soft”, but due to me getting only a 5 in maths, chem and biology I couldn’t pick any of those for my A-Levels. But I did get an 8 In Psychology, 6s in Lang, History and Physics and 7s in Spanish and Literature (which unis won’t look at). I think I did considerably well considering my circumstances though, as I had a visual impairment which I had no support for (medically and educationally) until a few months before my exam- meaning I had no idea what was on the board and in my textbooks for almost my whole GCSE course. I have worked really hard to boost myself by doing loads of wider “reading” and placements relating to psychology. So assuming I’m predicted A*AA in my A-Level subjects, do you think I could end up in a major university like Oxford or Cambridge? I am really hopeful.Thank you to anyone who will stop to respond to this, universally applications are freaking me out. :smile:
Reply 1
universities have said there’s no preference when it comes to soft or hard subjects, even for degrees such as medicine or vet med, in their admissions statement it says they won’t differentiate between whether you picked a sciencey subject or not, if you meet their standard entry requirements / predicted grades you have a great chance of getting an offer.

Predicted grades of A*AA would be fantastic for oxbridge unis, however they STRONGLY rank candidates based on GCSE’s, therefore you would be competing against students with all 8’s and 9’s at GCSE. I’m not trying to be harsh or put you off because i think being aspirational is great but it also sucks to receive a rejection and waste a spot on your application. I would say you should 100% apply to some Russel Group universities such as Bristol or Exeter or Bath, but id be hesitant about choosing Oxford or cambridge due to your GCSE performance. They usually give out offers based on scoring the personal statement as well as ranking your top GCSE’s.

i hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by aliaa03
universities have said there’s no preference when it comes to soft or hard subjects, even for degrees such as medicine or vet med, in their admissions statement it says they won’t differentiate between whether you picked a sciencey subject or not, if you meet their standard entry requirements / predicted grades you have a great chance of getting an offer.

Predicted grades of A*AA would be fantastic for oxbridge unis, however they STRONGLY rank candidates based on GCSE’s, therefore you would be competing against students with all 8’s and 9’s at GCSE. I’m not trying to be harsh or put you off because i think being aspirational is great but it also sucks to receive a rejection and waste a spot on your application. I would say you should 100% apply to some Russel Group universities such as Bristol or Exeter or Bath, but id be hesitant about choosing Oxford or cambridge due to your GCSE performance. They usually give out offers based on scoring the personal statement as well as ranking your top GCSE’s.

Thank you! If I were to be doing another course at Cambridge like Sociology for example, do you think my chances will be higher?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aliaa03
Predicted grades of A*AA would be fantastic for oxbridge unis, however they STRONGLY rank candidates based on GCSE’s...

That is completely and utterly false for Cambridge, who don't make a major deal of GCSEs at all.
Original post by deegcooki
Thank you! If I were to be doing another course at Cambridge like Sociology for example, do you think my chances will be higher?

See above.

Why would you apply to a subject you're not very keen on studying?
Original post by aliaa03

Cambridge doesnt have GCSE entry requirements, only A level. (check link below if you want)

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
Original post by deegcooki
I am currently in year 12, studying philosophy, psychology and sociology. I know it’s preferable for me to be doing more science subjects since my options are “soft”, but due to me getting only a 5 in maths, chem and biology I couldn’t pick any of those for my A-Levels. But I did get an 8 In Psychology, 6s in Lang, History and Physics and 7s in Spanish and Literature (which unis won’t look at). I think I did considerably well considering my circumstances though, as I had a visual impairment which I had no support for (medically and educationally) until a few months before my exam- meaning I had no idea what was on the board and in my textbooks for almost my whole GCSE course. I have worked really hard to boost myself by doing loads of wider “reading” and placements relating to psychology. So assuming I’m predicted A*AA in my A-Level subjects, do you think I could end up in a major university like Oxford or Cambridge? I am really hopeful.Thank you to anyone who will stop to respond to this, universally applications are freaking me out. :smile:

Getting into Cambridge is very competitive and they might well look at your Maths and Science grades as part of your overall application. For Psychology in particular many have Maths GCSE requirements. Bath as an example requires grade 7 GCSE Maths. For other courses which are not so Mathematical the GCSE requirement is often not as high.

Psychology is a difficult subject to advise you on. Some universities require 2 sciences. Others 1. Some accept A level Psychology as a science and others dont.

Sociology doesnt usually have the same science and Maths requirements.

Your only option is to check the entry requirement for each university you are interested in. Check for both subjects what are the requirements at A level and GCSE Maths. Use this link to help you.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Here is the entry criteria for Birmingham for Psychology. They accept students taking Psychology as a science and make a lower offer. You will need to check regarding your Maths and GCSE sciences.

A level - AAA - AAB

Entry requirements of AAB apply if one of the following subjects are being taken: Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Psychology, Math/Further Math or Statistics. Specified subjects excluded for entry: We do not accept General Studies, Critical Studies, Critical Thinking, Science in Society, World Development, Communication and Culture, Citizenship Studies and Use of Maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
THere are plenty of top Unis offering Psych that dont insist on sciences or who regard Psych, Geography as a science - Bristol and Bath as two good examples,

For all Psychology courses - check the GCSE requirements carefully as they will usually require a high grade, and without that its a straight rejection.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
THere are plenty of top Unis offering Psych that dont insist on sciences or who regard Psych, Geography as a science - Bristol and Bath as two good examples,

For all Psychology courses - check the GCSE requirements carefully as they will usually require a high grade, and without that its a straight rejection.

Thank you for your help. I know I qualify for contextual offers at a lot of these unis, but I still feel on edge about applying. So you don’t think it’s worth applying even if I get a contextual offer?
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Getting into Cambridge is very competitive and they might well look at your Maths and Science grades as part of your overall application. For Psychology in particular many have Maths GCSE requirements. Bath as an example requires grade 7 GCSE Maths. For other courses which are not so Mathematical the GCSE requirement is often not as high.

Psychology is a difficult subject to advise you on. Some universities require 2 sciences. Others 1. Some accept A level Psychology as a science and others dont.

Sociology doesnt usually have the same science and Maths requirements.

Your only option is to check the entry requirement for each university you are interested in. Check for both subjects what are the requirements at A level and GCSE Maths. Use this link to help you.

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Here is the entry criteria for Birmingham for Psychology. They accept students taking Psychology as a science and make a lower offer. You will need to check regarding your Maths and GCSE sciences.

A level - AAA - AAB

Entry requirements of AAB apply if one of the following subjects are being taken: Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Psychology, Math/Further Math or Statistics. Specified subjects excluded for entry: We do not accept General Studies, Critical Studies, Critical Thinking, Science in Society, World Development, Communication and Culture, Citizenship Studies and Use of Maths.

Thank you for your help. I know I qualify for contextual offers at a lot of these unis, but I still feel on edge about applying. So you don’t think it’s worth applying even if I get a contextual offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending