Applying to PPE at Oxford as an American

Watch
oceanicsailing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I’m applying to PPE at Oxford as an American student working within the American AP system. To meet the minimum entry requirements, I’m submitting AP English Language, AP European History, AP World History, and an ACT score of 35 / 36.

However, in the UCAS portal I have to submit all my AP scores, and I got a 3 in AP Calculus. Will Oxford see this result and will it impact my chances even though it’s not an essential requirement?
_kale!_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by oceanicsailing)
I’m applying to PPE at Oxford as an American student working within the American AP system. To meet the minimum entry requirements, I’m submitting AP English Language, AP European History, AP World History, and an ACT score of 35 / 36.

However, in the UCAS portal I have to submit all my AP scores, and I got a 3 in AP Calculus. Will Oxford see this result and will it impact my chances even though it’s not an essential requirement?
Yayyy a fellow American applying this year!! I'm applying for History and Politics with AP Euro, APUSH, AP Lang, and AP Psych (long story short, I have not been able to take the SAT/ACT due to constant test center closings/registration demand/utterly inconvenient test dates, and I'm literally going to lose my mind if I keep trying to take it, so we're moving on with life lol)

So back to your dilemma. I can't tell you for sure what would happen, but I can speculate. The Oxford website says that a math-related subject is recommended but not required for PPE. You have AP Calc (AB or BC, just curious?) and the ACT to cover that. The min requirement is AAA, which for us would translate to one of two options: (1) A score of 5 on 4 AP exams (2) A score of 5 on 3 AP exams and an ACT score of at least 31, or a SAT score of at least 1460.

First off: you must state all of your exam scores on UCAS. Now, if I was looking at your profile, I would assume that you did really well on the math section of the ACT given how well you performed overall. If you got 5s on your other three APs, that will look great, too, especially since taking history is marked as helpful for PPE. My point: You have already met the entry requirements stated on the website, so you are qualified. If the reason you didn't get an offer come January really did end up being your 3 on AP Calc, I would argue that that amounts to Oxford lying about what the min entry requirements are.

If you're worried about it still, maybe see if your referee has time to slip in a comment about why you got that score. If you are taking another STEM-related AP this May you can always put that in with a predicted score of 5, too. Honestly though, I would say the most important thing for your application after you submit it initially is that you prepare for the TSA! Good luck on it!!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by oceanicsailing)

You must declare all your AP, SAT and ACT results, and those that you will be taking. It'll depend on your TSA score. However, your APs are going to be well below average. Maths is relevant to economics, so it's a tad unfortunate, but not insurmountable.

Which college?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 day ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by _kale!_)
If the reason you didn't get an offer come January really did end up being your 3 on AP Calc, I would argue that that amounts to Oxford lying about what the min entry requirements are.
No. Oxford is competitive, so any aspect of your application that is below a fairly high percentile (of applicants) would need to be compensated for elsewhere. The entry requirements are purely a filter to limit the number of applicants, even though it is still fairly high (given the level of analysis per candidate, than almost no other UK university performs).
If you are taking another STEM-related AP this May you can always put that in with a predicted score of 5, too.
No, their referee must give the predicted score, and the fact that they're entered for an AP must be declared (as I think you understand).
Honestly though, I would say the most important thing for your application after you submit it initially is that you prepare for the TSA! Good luck on it!!
Agreed - that's the one thing that they can still influence.
_kale!_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
No. Oxford is competitive, so any aspect of your application that is below a fairly high percentile (of applicants) would need to be compensated for elsewhere. The entry requirements are purely a filter to limit the number of applicants, even though it is still fairly high (given the level of analysis per candidate, than almost no other UK university performs).

No, their referee must give the predicted score, and the fact that they're entered for an AP must be declared (as I think you understand).

Agreed - that's the one thing that they can still influence.
Well, I'm no expert and I don't mean to argue. I see what you're saying. I absolutely don't believe OP should give up on their application though, as I have heard of people slightly missing offers and getting in or maybe having one aspect of their application compensate for another aspect. Again, I did say I was just speculating, nothing a random person like me on the internet says is gospel.

I just know that my referee had to provide predicted scores for AP exams I'm taking later to another uni, which is why I mentioned it.
Last edited by _kale!_; 1 day ago
youyouxue
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
American PPEist here. Calculus is not a requirement for the course but a 3/5 on any AP exam can make the admissions tutors nervous. This should be explained by your referee in your reference. You can also take/plan to take an SAT Subject Test in mathematics to demonstrate your abilities, or break down your ACT score into the individual components and highlighting your maths score. It would also be very important for you to get a very strong score on the TSA exam to ensure you are standing out amongst others. If you have questions, feel free to email me [email protected].
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (44)
12.98%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.43%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.85%

Watched Threads