Are EU identity cards accepted as ID in the UK?

Watch
majell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but I’ll go ahead anyway.

The title really says it all. I’m coming to the UK to study - will I be able to use my EU ID for pubs, alcohol and so on?

Thanks
Last edited by majell; 1 week ago
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by majell)
Hello, not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but I’ll go ahead anyway.

The title really says it all. I’m coming to the UK to study - will I be able to use my EU ID for pubs, alcohol and so on?

Thanks
Hi majell

It should be okay and you could also use your passport, so depending on how long you are staying here, you could just see how it goes with the EU ID and or Passport. If you have problems then apply for a provisional driving licence, many places will not be familiar with the EU ID so may not accept it even though they should (https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...riving-licence) . It should just take a week, according to the website and is universally accepted.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
majell
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi majell

It should be okay and you could also use your passport, so depending on how long you are staying here, you could just see how it goes with the EU ID and or Passport. If you have problems then apply for a provisional driving licence, many places will not be familiar with the EU ID so may not accept it even though they should (https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...riving-licence) . It should just take a week, according to the website and is universally accepted.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Thanks for the reply.

I won’t be in the country long enough to apply for a provisional driving licence, unfortunately. But I’ll keep my passport with me until I figure out what the practice is in the city I’m going to. :-)
Last edited by majell; 1 week ago
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by majell)

Thanks
I've used my German ID card multiple times in the past (and just recently) and I don't remember it ever having been a problem. That being said, it depends how your country's ID card looks like. Mine is a card, with roughly the same dimensions as a bank card. If yours looks like a laminated piece of paper (that's what an old German ID "card" was like) you might face more problems.
majell
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
I've used my German ID card multiple times in the past (and just recently) and I don't remember it ever having been a problem. That being said, it depends how your country's ID card looks like. Mine is a card, with roughly the same dimensions as a bank card. If yours looks like a laminated piece of paper (that's what an old German ID "card" was like) you might face more problems.
Sounds good! My card (Norwegian) looks almost exactly like my passport, so I dont see why it wouldnt be an acceptable ID. Im thinking its not gonna be an issue
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The problem you're likely to have is that the people checking your ID will not be familiar with it, and that will make them reluctant to accept it.

(This is the same reason many businesses don't accept £50 notes, and why many businesses outside of Scotland don't accept Scottish bank notes, or businesses outside Northern Ireland don't accept N.I. banknotes.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads