I'm in third year and I want to drop out. What are my options?

Watch
astudentintheuk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 23 hours ago
I just decided I'm done and it's too stressful before it's even properly begun. I don't want to do the work and the only way I passed first year... well I made a grave mistake which I don't want to get into here but I cannot feel like I legitimately earned my degree because of that mistake.

What options do I have? I also cannot go home to my parents house because I'm done with my dad. Trouble with accommodation is I've signed on for at least one term of accomodation and I'm not sure I can get out of that.

If I get a job full time at Tescos or somewhere is that feasible? I think I've seen some non student flats that are affordable enough. I've I've got roughly 2,000 in savings.
Anonymous #1
Report 22 hours ago
Hey!
It sounds like you're in a pretty tough situation right now. I'd like to advise but could you clarify a few things for me?
1. Is there an option to defer or take a gap year?
2. What course are you doing?
3. What area are you planning to live in?
Thanks!
astudentintheuk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 22 hours ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey!
It sounds like you're in a pretty tough situation right now. I'd like to advise but could you clarify a few things for me?
1. Is there an option to defer or take a gap year?
2. What course are you doing?
3. What area are you planning to live in?
Thanks!
I'm in the same city I grew up in (Northern England somewhere) and I plan to live there still (for the time being). I have friends here and I am sure I want to drop out not take a gap year.
Anonymous #1
Report 22 hours ago
(Original post by astudentintheuk)
I'm in the same city I grew up in (Northern England somewhere) and I plan to live there still (for the time being). I have friends here and I am sure I want to drop out not take a gap year.
Hello,
Ok, thank you for clarifying. Whilst Northern England is notoriously cheaper than the rest of the country in terms of accommodation, you also need to take into account that a minimum wage job in the same area and 2k of savings are unrealistic conditions to rent a flat with. The deposit alone would take most of your money. You could, potentially, make it in a house share on this income. However, it won't be easy. I would consider applying for Universal Credit to help with living costs as well as looking for a full-time job. It would be a short-term solution, though. Please consider what you'd like to do long term and how you would arrive at that point from where you're at now.
Best of Luck
astudentintheuk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 22 hours ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,
Ok, thank you for clarifying. Whilst Northern England is notoriously cheaper than the rest of the country in terms of accommodation, you also need to take into account that a minimum wage job in the same area and 2k of savings are unrealistic conditions to rent a flat with. The deposit alone would take most of your money. You could, potentially, make it in a house share on this income. However, it won't be easy. I would consider applying for Universal Credit to help with living costs as well as looking for a full-time job. It would be a short-term solution, though. Please consider what you'd like to do long term and how you would arrive at that point from where you're at now.
Best of Luck
Actually I got that wrong. I have more than one savings account so I've got roughly £3,000 if I left now. Would that extra 1k make any difference?
Last edited by astudentintheuk; 22 hours ago
yusuf.khalil031
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
I just decided I'm done and it's too stressful before it's even properly begun. I don't want to do the work and the only way I passed first year... well I made a grave mistake which I don't want to get into here but I cannot feel like I legitimately earned my degree because of that mistake.

What options do I have? I also cannot go home to my parents house because I'm done with my dad. Trouble with accommodation is I've signed on for at least one term of accomodation and I'm not sure I can get out of that.

If I get a job full time at Tescos or somewhere is that feasible? I think I've seen some non student flats that are affordable enough. I've I've got roughly 2,000 in savings.
Hi,
What uni and what course did you take? Although i don't understand your situation i think itd be really upsetting in the future if you accumulated a decent amount of debt and didn't come away with anything. About your mistake again not a lot of info but i just want to suggest that you may regret leaving your degree due to a mistake no employer will ever know about or care. Ofc if it means you have to resit a module or something worse then thats fair enough but doesn't sound like it.
On the full time job part i worked at amazon for 3 and a half months this year and its the most depressed i have ever been. Im sure you have some experience in retail and that's helping your decision but if not id strongly recommend to sit on it for a while before making any permanent decisions.
From experience id say external family factors really worsen everything and make things seem worse than they are on your education side of life and there are plenty of ways to help try deal with all the stress ect.
Again idk your situation and I'm sure you've though it through a lot id just say to not stop trying and give it like a term before you make a massive decision. Also i have a few friends who changed courses after 1st year so theres like a lot more options than just going full time retail. Im sure your uni has a career department or someone who has much more knowledge than me who you should probably talk to.
Good Luck
astudentintheuk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
(Original post by yusuf.khalil031)
Hi,
What uni and what course did you take? Although i don't understand your situation i think itd be really upsetting in the future if you accumulated a decent amount of debt and didn't come away with anything. About your mistake again not a lot of info but i just want to suggest that you may regret leaving your degree due to a mistake no employer will ever know about or care. Ofc if it means you have to resit a module or something worse then thats fair enough but doesn't sound like it.
On the full time job part i worked at amazon for 3 and a half months this year and its the most depressed i have ever been. Im sure you have some experience in retail and that's helping your decision but if not id strongly recommend to sit on it for a while before making any permanent decisions.
From experience id say external family factors really worsen everything and make things seem worse than they are on your education side of life and there are plenty of ways to help try deal with all the stress ect.
Again idk your situation and I'm sure you've though it through a lot id just say to not stop trying and give it like a term before you make a massive decision. Also i have a few friends who changed courses after 1st year so theres like a lot more options than just going full time retail. Im sure your uni has a career department or someone who has much more knowledge than me who you should probably talk to.
Good Luck
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I know I do not enjoy this degree nor the potential sector I'd work in. I also do not unfortunately have any retail experience. Only a part time shop job for several years I suppose. Its the way things are. However, I do understand it is not all sunshine and rainbows. I just think it may be a lot simpler to have a job than working for a degree for some job.

Edit: About uni and course - I was hoping for general advice from people on this thread. Nothing personal but I do not feel comfortable disclosing that here.
Last edited by astudentintheuk; 21 hours ago
Anonymous #1
Report 20 hours ago
Actually I got that wrong. I have more than one savings account so I've got roughly £3,000 if I left now. Would that extra 1k make any difference?
Hello again! It depends on how much your bills (gas, electric, water) come to overall. I think you should really reconsider renting a flat and go on Spare Room to find a room in a house share. It would be a better fit for your income if you're expecting to work in retail or hospitality, as someone who worked in that sector for five years. Then, just do the work, have a think about things and start again
astudentintheuk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 hours ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
13.04%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (88)
27.33%
I'm a bit unsure (57)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (110)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
7.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise