What happens if I don’t turn up to lab work? I absolutely hate it
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
it's compulsory, so they'll tell your tutor, and if you continue to be absent, they can kick you out of uni.
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey Anonymous,

Sorry to hear this! Not every part of your degree is going to be for you!

I know it may not be what you'd like to do, but I'd definitely advise turning up for every session you have- I know my first couple of experiences in the lab felt terrifying! But attending every session and getting the practise, and advice really helped to relax me into it far more, and helped with my practical assessment at the end of the module (which meant that the lab work attendance was mandatory in my case, else I would have failed!). You don't have to love it, but it's definitely worth gaining some skills and experience if you can!

If you really don't know if you can do it, perhaps contact your personal tutor or module leader to explain how you're feeling. They might be able to offer extra support, advise on how essential lab work is to your degree and give you specific advice about how it could affect your situation. This way, you can be more prepared. Also, if they suggest that lab work is a big part of your degree, it's possible you may want to reconsider your choice of course, as I'm sure you'd like to be happy with what you're studying .

I'd also maybe suggest reaching out to coursemates, to see who may be experiencing the same feelings. Maybe if there's a little group of you, you can motivate each other to attend, give it a go and perhaps treat yourselves to a lunch or dinner out afterwards, to mark the achievement. Sounds silly, but having something to look forward too can really motivate you- I've definitely used this technique with my friends to get through some of my exams and assessments!

Don't forget, your university will always have support services on hand who can give you advice about your studies, and help going forward if you feel you need it, so don't be afraid to reach out and say that you're unhappy with this element of your course. You never know, it could trigger the change you need to feel more content with your degree work!

Hope that helps, and good luck going forward, I hope you manage to sort it

Ceri (3rd year WECS student at Suffolk)
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well, you will fail. Lab work is critical in the sciences and engineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (39)
88.64%
No (5)
11.36%

Watched Threads