Which RG unis give lower requirements for carers?

Watch
OVLD68
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Want to apply to some universities in January and I’m a carer for my Mum. I want to apply some Russell group ones but I’m not sure which ones offer a lower requirement for their subjects.

I’ve done some research and some explicitly say and others say they do not but there are quite a few which don’t say anything and I was just wondering if anybody had a comprehensive list?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There would be no list. Contact the ones you are interested in. As far as I am aware there is no reduction for this reason. Most make contextual offers based on being in care, a poor performing school or a post code which has low numbers going to university and the rules vary between universities.
OVLD68
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There would be no list. Contact the ones you are interested in. As far as I am aware there is no reduction for this reason. Most make contextual offers based on being in care, a poor performing school or a post code which has low numbers going to university and the rules vary between universities.
Hi, thank you for the reply. Some do definitely offer lower entry requirements for carers; I know the likes of Edinburgh, Sheffield and a few others do offer it but I wasn’t sure if there were any others. Again thanks for the reply
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OVLD68)
Hi, thank you for the reply. Some do definitely offer lower entry requirements for carers; I know the likes of Edinburgh, Sheffield and a few others do offer it but I wasn’t sure if there were any others. Again thanks for the reply
I put a spreadsheet together for someone on here last year of most of the leading 40 universities and very few if any use it as a contextual flag. If you have found a couple who do fine but most dont. Contextual offers are usually made on the reasons I gave. A couple use factors such as Free school meals and race but generally it is the reason I outlined. They might consider your circumstances as extenuating circumstances if you do not meet the normal offer on results days but not for lower contextual offers.

Here is Bristol's list and it is fairly typical. Some do not include very condition and some universities require more than 1 for example school and address

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...ndary%20school
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 week ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I

Want to apply to some universities in January and I’m a carer for my Mum. I want to apply some Russell group ones but I’m not sure which ones offer a lower requirement for their subjects.

I’ve done some research and some explicitly say and others say they do not but there are quite a few which don’t say anything and I was just wondering if anybody had a comprehensive list?
think newcastle do, not sure if they're russel, but it's not really important, it's a research group and UCL I've heard is awful but is russel
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
I

think newcastle do, not sure if they're russel, but it's not really important, it's a research group and UCL I've heard is awful but is russel
Newcastle dont see below and they dont on schooling either

How is contextual information used?
If you are eligible, the Admissions Team may use this information in the following ways:
to make you a contextual offer, which will be two grades lower than the typical offer for the Programme to which you have applied;
when considering applicants who have not quite met the entry criteria stated in their offer at Confirmation.
You may be eligible to receive a contextual offer if the following applies to you:

The postcode that you have provided as your home address is defined as a neighbourhood where the proportion of students going into higher education is low (determined by POLAR4 data, specifically quintiles 1 and 2). Check your postcode to see if you would be eligible here.
You have been looked after or in care for more than three months
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6389214 this thread is someone in a similar situation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads