crosley23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Guys I can't decide between Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh or Glasgow for veterinary medicine. I really want to do hands on learning but I don't know which one is the best. Nottingham seems great and really cool but Cambridge has a really good reputation and looks like it has a really hands on course. I don't see much about Cambridge on here so it's making me think it isn't the best for veterinary... Help please
Advertisement
josesh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by crosley23)
Guys I can't decide between Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh or Glasgow for veterinary medicine. I really want to do hands on learning but I don't know which one is the best. Nottingham seems great and really cool but Cambridge has a really good reputation and looks like it has a really hands on course. I don't see much about Cambridge on here so it's making me think it isn't the best for veterinary... Help please
Hey,

Do you mind me asking what you are deciding. Are you deciding which Unis to apply? Which ones are you thinking of? Cant you apply to all four? Or do you have others you prefer
crosley23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm trying to get an idea on which one's the best since I don't have any more space on my application form thingy.
josesh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'm trying to get an idea on which one's the best since I don't have any more space on my application form thingy.
Oh ok.

Well, I don’t think there’s much difference between them. There’s only 8 or 9 Unis which offer it so really any uni you get into is great! I think it really depends on your personal preference. Do you want a big city then maybe Glasgow, a mid sized city then Cambridge or Edinburgh etc. Also the course which one do you like the most? I could be wrong but I always thought Cambridge was less hands on and more science oriented but could be wrong. I really don’t think there is much difference academically between them - it’s not like with most courses where you’d assume Cambridge was the best. I really just think you should choose based on which course structure you like the most.
Hope that helps! 😊
crosley23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
thanks! I'll have another look at the course structures and see what I think
Advertisement
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Cambridge is certainly more academically intense but I don't believe that is at the expense of hands on - the RCVS defines what a course has to cover in order to be accredited so they will all equip you to be a vet. Cambridge has shorter terms than the others which means you work very hard for the term time - no Wednesday afternoon off for sports etc - but you get longer holidays which can be very helpful for the EMS you will need to do in the holidays. Cambridge is also a 6 year course where the others are 5 - this is because intercalating to get a second degree is compulsory whereas it is only an option (or not even an option) at the others. That may, or may not, appeal to you. Cambridge is really reasonably priced as a place to live and you can get uni accommodation for at least the first 3 years.
Vetgirl07
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
Are these the four you’re thinking of applying to? In which case, don’t set yourself on one before you apply. It’s very unlikely for someone to get all of their offers so treat each one like it’s your top choice. There isn’t really a universal best vet school either, it’s more a case of which one is the best for you. Employers are much more interested in what you’re like as a person instead of which university you went to.

I’m a vet student at Cambridge and in terms of how hands on it is, we get a fair amount of practical with lots of dissections in the first year. We get the same amount of animal contact as most other universities in small groups and do EMS like everyone else. We don’t start clinical training until the clinical years (years 4-6) but there are still opportunities to learn these earlier so I wouldn’t say we’re compromised in practical.

As to which universities offer the most practical and hands on learning I’m not entirely sure (you’re best off asking to see the timetables of other vet students). Do your own research on each one and then decide for yourself which is the best one for you.
Advertisement
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
The answer is as above - Apply for the four you like the most - and worry about deciding if you get multiple offers
A vets favourite vet school is the one they got in to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (47)
13.47%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.65%
I'm a bit unsure (61)
17.48%
I'm finding things difficult (118)
33.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.6%

Watched Threads