The Student Room Group

Is there a point in me going to university?

Hey everyone, pretty much it’s taken me 4 years to do A levels, after my first two years I got a D and a B, I then took one more a level last year at my school which I got a B in. I’m currently rtaking another a level this year which I’m predicted a A in. Pretty much I don’t know if it’s even worth me going to uni. I would love to go, but the likelihood of me getting into a good one is slim, I don’t even know what I want to do as most of the doors for courses have been shut off to me and I have a really low set of grades. The a level I’m taking this year I was considering binning it off and doing another one instead which gives me only 8 months to learn an entire a level and even then it hardly helps the awful grades I’ve already got. A lot happened while I was doing my a levels in the first two years but it’s not as if any unis actually care and it’s not as if I can change them or anything. It’s all making me seriously unhappy with the current stress it’s causing and I’m just so miserable. I’m just in such a deep hole of mistake after mistake pretty much. Tbh I don’t really know what I’m asking but I just wanted to vent a little bit as this is the only place I can go, but if you have any help or advice I’d appreciate it
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous12367
Hey everyone, pretty much it’s taken me 4 years to do A levels, after my first two years I got a D and a B, I then took one more a level last year at my school which I got a B in. I’m currently rtaking another a level this year which I’m predicted a A in. Pretty much I don’t know if it’s even worth me going to uni. I would love to go, but the likelihood of me getting into a good one is slim, I don’t even know what I want to do as most of the doors for courses have been shut off to me and I have a really low set of grades. The a level I’m taking this year I was considering binning it off and doing another one instead which gives me only 8 months to learn an entire a level and even then it hardly helps the awful grades I’ve already got. A lot happened while I was doing my a levels in the first two years but it’s not as if any unis actually care and it’s not as if I can change them or anything. It’s all making me seriously unhappy with the current stress it’s causing and I’m just so miserable. I’m just in such a deep hole of mistake after mistake pretty much. Tbh I don’t really know what I’m asking but I just wanted to vent a little bit as this is the only place I can go, but if you have any help or advice I’d appreciate it

No you probably wouldn't get in into university anyway

Universities in fact DO take into account contextual matters. So your current grades could possibly be ABBD, that's a good set of grades especially considering you've done 4. Not a lot of people get ABB in 3 a-levels let alone ABBD in 4.

8 months is enough time if you put the work in.

Try thinking a little more optimistically - your age means nothing, I'm a first year at university and most the people I know are older than me. You don't need to enter a doors course, not everyone does (I didn't!). You have control over your future, so get focused on the next A-Level, draw up a few options of courses and universities and make sure you create a concise, quick contextual explanation. Then you have every possibility of going to university, and a good one considering your grades. :smile:
Original post by bette4545
Universities in fact DO take into account contextual matters. So your current grades could possibly be ABBD, that's a good set of grades especially considering you've done 4. Not a lot of people get ABB in 3 a-levels let alone ABBD in 4.

8 months is enough time if you put the work in.

Try thinking a little more optimistically - your age means nothing, I'm a first year at university and most the people I know are older than me. You don't need to enter a doors course, not everyone does (I didn't!). You have control over your future, so get focused on the next A-Level, draw up a few options of courses and universities and make sure you create a concise, quick contextual explanation. Then you have every possibility of going to university, and a good one considering your grades. :smile:

Thank you for the reply, honestly I’ve tried optimism and it never works for me, almost everything goes wrong in my life if it can, that’s not even me being overly critical, like it’s actually quite funny how much goes wrong for me. I may not do 4 a levels, I may retake the one I got a D in instead, either way surely unis won’t take much notice if I do 4 if I did them over 4 years and failed one? I may be mistaken.

I also have no idea what I want to do at uni, however that’s more of an issue for me lol
Reply 4
dont downplay yourself.

work on your support system

consider what you wnat to do in life. try the trades if need be.

this is personal question. oy you really have answer, but dont be afraid of the journey. the journey can give you a great experience in life

Hello there :smile:

The fact that you have not done great with A levels doesn't mean you cannot do great at uni! Maybe it is just that you have not found something that motivates you.

When I was younger I used to hate studying and I used to get terrible grades. Now, I am studying psychology and I LOVE it. I am constantly reading about it in my free time and I get really good marks. I think you just need to find something that motivates you to study!

Best wishes
Andrea
Thank you for the reply, honestly I’ve tried optimism and it never works for me, almost everything goes wrong in my life if it can, that’s not even me being overly critical, like it’s actually quite funny how much goes wrong for me. I may not do 4 a levels, I may retake the one I got a D in instead, either way surely unis won’t take much notice if I do 4 if I did them over 4 years and failed one? I may be mistaken.

I also have no idea what I want to do at uni, however that’s more of an issue for me lol

D isn't a fail- it's a pass.

There's no such thing as fate or luck, you own your future.
Original post by bette4545
D isn't a fail- it's a pass.

There's no such thing as fate or luck, you own your future.

Oh don’t get it twisted, I’m in the mess I’m in because i’m an thick, idiot; things only go wrong because i’m an idiot, that’s all there is to it really
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest