ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I don't ... I don't plan on going abroad again [nothing to do with coronavirus]
Oh, that's a shame, I quite like going abroad, makes you appreciate England more.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I lost my student card last week, which I would normally use to get around the place and most importantly, collect packages. I ordered a new one and its just arrived, but I found out that I can't collect it if I don't have any photo ID, (e.g provisional license, passport.) I cant go about getting a provisional license because I'd need to collect it from the uni, which I cant do because I haven't got a student card. I also can't have it sent home and then mailed here, because I don't have my own letterbox. What am I meant to do?
they must have your photo on their system - or they can look at the photo on the student card itself before they give it to you. Push back on the ridiculous requirement
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I decided there was such a lot of this country I don't know - family have food allergies so it's much easier here.
Aye that's true. The only reason I travel abroad now is to either visit my LD lady or to go to Japan, freaking love Japan. Most of my longer trips are domestic (Scotland) though. Still though- don't you ever want to go abroad at least once? Maybe to go taunt some French?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Aye that's true. The only reason I travel abroad now is to either visit my LD lady or to go to Japan, freaking love Japan. Most of my longer trips are domestic (Scotland) though. Still though- don't you ever want to go abroad at least once? Maybe to go taunt some French?
I've been to France and taken school trips there ...
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I lost my student card last week, which I would normally use to get around the place and most importantly, collect packages. I ordered a new one and its just arrived, but I found out that I can't collect it if I don't have any photo ID, (e.g provisional license, passport.) I cant go about getting a provisional license because I'd need to collect it from the uni, which I cant do because I haven't got a student card. I also can't have it sent home and then mailed here, because I don't have my own letterbox. What am I meant to do?
What did you have to do to prove your identity when you collected your original student card? In a sane world you should be able to use that same proof to get the replacement.

But your university should have some process for you to prove your identity without holding a passport or driving licence. There's no legal requirement for you to be in possession of either (except for international students who will presumably have a passport).
Pinez772
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'd hardly call £80 significant. It's obviously something, but I'd hardly call putting that something into a passport (that lasts 10 years, so £8 a year) a bad call, especially since you might decide to travel at some point in the future and would then have to deal with the hassle when you do.

Pre-empting the effort required when the requirement comes, I say. The average person does travel abroad at least once within 10 years according to some cursory googling, and I feel sad for the person that doesn't.
£80 is significant for a lot of people, especially students. Minimum wage for an 18 year old is only £6.56, so that's around 12 hours they'd need to work given most jobs for people our age pay minimum wage or barely above. That's not an insignificant amount of time or money, especially when you have no intention to travel. Getting a passport also does not take that much effort at all, or I suppose you wouldn't have suggested they get one in the first place, they also don't take all too long to process and in the event one does wish to travel given that rational people generally book such trips at least a few months in advance. It would not be hassle at all. £80 at a flat rate is also absolutely not the same as £8 a year, £8 is a small amount of money and again not even two hours of work, it's not £8 a year if you have no intention to travel, it's £80 of wasted money.

'The average person' is also a pretty stupid thing to bring up. Who is this 'average person'? You do realise that a large amount of people will have to travel for work, that some people have more money than others, and that 'average' means there are people below that right? Get off your high horse. People do not need to travel nor do they need your pity for it. There's plenty to be seen in the UK and Northern Ireland. A passport is not a smart thing to invest in when you need photo ID.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Get a passport...?

Who the heck doesn't have a passport...

Edit
Since people are constantly attributing this to travel I thought I should mention that our passport is the equivalent to a citizenship card/etc, that proves you're a citizen on paper. Seems very useful to have and carry around with you 24/7 (I do at least.)
You carry your passport with you 24/7? Lots of people don't have one. I let mine expire because I knew I wouldn't be going abroad in the foreseeable, and it would be a waste to just have it for a couple of years without using it. Driving license is a better and more convenient form of ID.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads