Want to do a computer science degree but do not have enough ucas points

Watch
Shoten2x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello ,

Recently i found out what i want to do in life which is software development , i missed this years deadline so i would be looking at starting in september of next year but in college i did a sport btec level 3 course and got a result of MPP which is around 64 ucas points which is rediculusly low , I want to know if ill still be able to go to uni and do the course or if ill have to give up on that
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Shoten2x)
Hello ,

Recently i found out what i want to do in life which is software development , i missed this years deadline so i would be looking at starting in september of next year but in college i did a sport btec level 3 course and got a result of MPP which is around 64 ucas points which is rediculusly low , I want to know if ill still be able to go to uni and do the course or if ill have to give up on that
It does sound rather low and also not in an appropriate subject. Also most universities have Mathematics requirements. All you can do is check the universities requirements and given the subject your BTEC is in I would contact the universities concerned and seek advice. Possibly give admissions a ring. I dont know whether there would be a relevent access course you could take for this subject.
cvgk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
London Metropolitan University computing or London Metropolitan University computer engineering
awc14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
University isn’t the only route to become a software engineer
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello ,

Hi Shoten2x

Have you considered a Foundation Year before your degree? You should be able to get onto a Foundation Year with your UCAS points (ie, we ask for 48 points for our Computer Science degree with Foundation Year). A Foundation Year is perfect for getting you on track for your degree, especially if you have minimal experience in your chosen area.

Alternatively, you might also want to consider an apprenticeship. You can find more info here on Prospects.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello ,

I’ll be shocked if you find anywhere that will take you with UCAS points that low for a full degree. However you might find some unis that will offer you a foundation year.

You will still need the required grades at GCSE though for Maths/English.
Shoten2x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nutz99)
I’ll be shocked if you find anywhere that will take you with UCAS points that low for a full degree. However you might find some unis that will offer you a foundation year.

You will still need the required grades at GCSE though for Maths/English.
My gsce results was good but after year 1 corona came into play and the work i was doing from home wasnt matching up with the work i would do in college
Last edited by Shoten2x; 1 week ago
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My gsce results was good but after year 1 corona came into play and the work i was doing from home wasnt matching up with the work i would do in college
There are places you will be able to apply to then, but only with a foundation year.

If I were you I would look at the university rankings, start at the bottom then work your way up checking each Uni for the entry requirements onto the foundation year. Make a list and go for the ones that appeal to you.

It may also be worth looking at courses that offer a placement year to get some experience, which may put you ahead of your competition when applying for jobs. You may also be offered a job by the placement company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads