Got into Uni at 20 but considering dropping out already

Watch
OwenLitch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just recently started at Uni where I commute which takes 45 mins or so each way. I was always a bit sceptical and already I am considering dropping out. I want to work within the real estate sector and don’t believe having a degree is that important imo. Anyone have any similar experiences??
timleebcu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends what you mean by the real estate sector.

If you mean like the daytime TV shows and the get rich quick schemes then a degree might be of limited worth.

If you mean a professional real estate career dealing with commercial property, large scale property development sites, eventually property fund management then qualifications are essential.

If you've only just started you potentially have close to 50 years prior to state retirement age (jolly thought!) having the option of a professional career at some point over that period may be attractive.

What course have you started studying and why did you choose it?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OwenLitch)
Just recently started at Uni where I commute which takes 45 mins or so each way. I was always a bit sceptical and already I am considering dropping out. I want to work within the real estate sector and don’t believe having a degree is that important imo. Anyone have any similar experiences??
It all depends on what job role you exactly want?
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/estate-agent
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/real-estate

You can go to University in the future say you've worked in real estate field for few years then you change your mind you can do a degree at any age really.

That's fine if you want to drop out but have you considered perhaps degree apprenticeship (yes I know it's similar to going University) but you have that flexibility with you work too or an apprenticeship. There will be some really good apprenticeships out there right now seeing as govt is pushing for them instead of University...so it might work in your favour.

https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch
OwenLitch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by timleebcu)
It depends what you mean by the real estate sector.

If you mean like the daytime TV shows and the get rich quick schemes then a degree might be of limited worth.

If you mean a professional real estate career dealing with commercial property, large scale property development sites, eventually property fund management then qualifications are essential.

If you've only just started you potentially have close to 50 years prior to state retirement age (jolly thought!) having the option of a professional career at some point over that period may be attractive.

What course have you started studying and why did you choose it?
I am 20 years old and have just started a property finance and investment course. I am enjoying it a little bit more now tbh and have a gained a bit more confidence. I am still assessing my options regarding taking an apprenticeship or simply continuing. Regarding my plans, I was thinking about gaining experience and hopefully opening my own property development firm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.14%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.29%

Watched Threads