Work ideas for family carers? How to make a living as a carer?

Watch
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!

For the past 7 years I’ve been caring for a relative that has cancer. My gran was diagnosed literally two months before me starting my college course and I supported her to every appointment and treatment and managed to get into uni and still support her but things have changed and I’m struggling!

I’ve recently graduated and in June my gran told me she only had a couple of months left to live but didn’t tell me in the may when she found out as I was writing my dissertation. Since then her conditions has deteriorated and she’s been in and out of hospital and no requires a lot more care. The thing is I have hardly any support from my other family members and my gran doesn’t like strangers coming into her house so I have said I will continue to care for her until she passes but I’m struggling for money!

I can’t get a job using my degree as they are all full time positions and I’ve tried so hard over the past two months to look for part time flexible work but there just isn’t anything! I’ve even tried agencies but they expect me to work shifts and set days and it’s just not possible as things are continually changing.

Does anyone have any ideas of jobs that are flexible or something I could do a day or two days a week to try and get some money?

Thank you!
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JasmineAcademic)
Hey!

For the past 7 years I’ve been caring for a relative that has cancer. My gran was diagnosed literally two months before me starting my college course and I supported her to every appointment and treatment and managed to get into uni and still support her but things have changed and I’m struggling!

I’ve recently graduated and in June my gran told me she only had a couple of months left to live but didn’t tell me in the may when she found out as I was writing my dissertation. Since then her conditions has deteriorated and she’s been in and out of hospital and no requires a lot more care. The thing is I have hardly any support from my other family members and my gran doesn’t like strangers coming into her house so I have said I will continue to care for her until she passes but I’m struggling for money!

I can’t get a job using my degree as they are all full time positions and I’ve tried so hard over the past two months to look for part time flexible work but there just isn’t anything! I’ve even tried agencies but they expect me to work shifts and set days and it’s just not possible as things are continually changing.

Does anyone have any ideas of jobs that are flexible or something I could do a day or two days a week to try and get some money?

Thank you!
I am sorry to hear that about your gran.

Have you had a sit down with the extended family regarding this situation? I don't want to come across rude or anything but I'd highly recommend getting your gran to write a will if she hasn't already.

Have you considered applying for this:
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Can Student Finance offer extra money or the University if you become your grans carer?

I haven't searched myself for any remote jobs but perhaps the PCR Test companies might be virtual?? Try indeed and see what comes up. I know the test and trace cut down on their jobs so wouldn't bother trying there..
What about retail jobs? Christmas is coming up most of them perhaps be recruiting for Christmas temps? Might be able to get into the door through that period and stay on...
Last edited by Ash1234; 1 week ago
Allyson2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey!

Thank you!
Hi

Sorry on the bad news you are dealing with your gramma as not easy to look after somebody when so ill and also doing a degree at sametime.
As a nurse I understand your situation ok. Families can be strange when it comes to dealing with things like this.

Have you contacted the local mcmillian nurses who can come in and provide support and help with you as they are very good in this.

I think she didn't tell you sooner because of not wanting to upset you while doing a important thing for your degree with dissertation.

You could try perhaps working part-time in retailing for time being as boots the chemist offers good flexibility shift patterns and pay is decent as well, you'll need to look up there own website for positions in your local stores as will be doing lots of Xmas positions and also some permanent ones at sametime.
There's also other retailing shops for temp positions,

Also what #2 post said to look into.....
JasmineAcademic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ash1234)

Have you had a sit down with the extended family regarding this situation? I don't want to come across rude or anything but I'd highly recommend getting your gran to write a will if she hasn't already.

Can Student Finance offer extra money or the University if you become your grans carer?

I haven't searched myself for any remote jobs but perhaps the PCR Test companies might be virtual?? Try indeed and see what comes up. I know the test and trace cut down on their jobs so wouldn't bother trying there..
What about retail jobs? Christmas is coming up most of them perhaps be recruiting for Christmas temps? Might be able to get into the door through that period and stay on...
Hi!

Thank you so much for your kind response!

I completely forgot about remote working. This would be really helpful right now, so thanks for reminding me as I’m going to look now and see if I can find anything.

I also forgot about the Christmas recruitment coming up. It’s crazy how many things I’ve forgotten about lol

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
JasmineAcademic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Hi

Sorry on the bad news you are dealing with your gramma as not easy to look after somebody when so ill and also doing a degree at sametime.
As a nurse I understand your situation ok. Families can be strange when it comes to dealing with things like this.

Have you contacted the local mcmillian nurses who can come in and provide support and help with you as they are very good in this.

I think she didn't tell you sooner because of not wanting to upset you while doing a important thing for your degree with dissertation.

You could try perhaps working part-time in retailing for time being as boots the chemist offers good flexibility shift patterns and pay is decent as well, you'll need to look up there own website for positions in your local stores as will be doing lots of Xmas positions and also some permanent ones at sametime.
There's also other retailing shops for temp positions,

Also what #2 post said to look into.....
Hi Allyson,

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it!

Yes my gran didn’t tell me as she didn’t want me to worry whilst I was finishing my work, bless her. Thank you for understanding. My family have been aware of her situation from the start and haven’t ever been helpful. She’s sees a Macmillan nurse every now and then so I’ll get in contact with them and see if they can offer me any support. She’s only just turned 70 so she’s so worried about letting people in to do things as she still wants to be independent and not rely and anyone so it’s very difficult to get help from elsewhere.

I am going to have a look at the Christmas recruitment coming up and see if I can find something flexible as I really forgot about those kind of jobs. Also remote working as suggested above.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it!
Allyson2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Allyson,

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it!

Yes my gran didn’t tell me as she didn’t want me to worry whilst I was finishing my work, bless her. Thank you for understanding. My family have been aware of her situation from the start and haven’t ever been helpful. She’s sees a Macmillan nurse every now and then so I’ll get in contact with them and see if they can offer me any support. She’s only just turned 70 so she’s so worried about letting people in to do things as she still wants to be independent and not rely and anyone so it’s very difficult to get help from elsewhere.

I am going to have a look at the Christmas recruitment coming up and see if I can find something flexible as I really forgot about those kind of jobs. Also remote working as suggested above.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it!
Hi
No problems okay.
Yeah the older generation don't like to be a burden on anyone as reason why they generally keeps things back till they ready to tell people,

I'm use to these situation in my job so its easy to understand these issues okay.

The mcmillian nurses should be able to give you more support and help in things with your Gran as they are very trained to deal with your situation.
You do your upmost best for your Gran as she will obviously appreciate it from you but would be nice if others family members gave a helped but don't look like they will on what you said which is unfair to you.

You have a look at likes of boots, tesco, asda, sainsburys/Argos, etc websites for christmas jobs okay and hope you get something you will like.
Cancelled Alice
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Firstly claim what ever you can benefit wise, you may be entitled to careers allowance or universal credit. If you can claim UC it will likely amount to quite a lot more money that careers allowance would, also because of your significant caring responsibilities they shouldn’t set any ‘claimant commitments’, they’ll leave you alone.

If your work availability is going to be constantly changing and there isn’t anyone for you to rely on, jobs wise you are going to struggle. Even zero hours contract job would be a struggle, once you’ve committed to work a shift you can’t go back on that without jeopardising your employment. There probably is something unconventional out there that you could do, but nothing immediately comes to mind.

GA
Rubez2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
(Original post by Ash1234)

They gave just started hiring again for test and trace: https://jobs.sitel.com/job/UK-Virtua...medium=organic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (30)
88.24%
No (4)
11.76%

Watched Threads