Ethereal001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
This is a question for those in y13 getting A’s or even those who finished the course - how did you revise? Both my teachers aren’t great and I have to tech myself the whole syllabus but idk where to start or what resources to use- any helpful tips ?
Ahm_201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I just did past papers. I would sit down and do open book past papers for hours. The reason why i would recommend open book past papers is that most ppl, if they don't understand the question, they would look at the mark scheme and forget the answers. So its better, if you don't get a question, look through your notes/book/videos to understand and memorise. I did so many past paper questions and realised that a lot of the questions are very similar and are just worded differently, this helped me a lot in a real exam. I am not doing computer science as an A level but I know that about ~50% of your grade is based on written test and ~50% is course. Also, ask the college if they have support lessons/ 1 on 1. Hope that helped
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Ethereal001)
This is a question for those in y13 getting A’s or even those who finished the course - how did you revise? Both my teachers aren’t great and I have to tech myself the whole syllabus but idk where to start or what resources to use- any helpful tips ?
Hi,
I have already received my A-Level results this August and was meant to also be doing computer science (well I did it in year 12 and at start of year 13 was forced to drop it cuz school could not find a replacement teacher).

Anyways, I did OCR and from what I remember AQA was a bit more on the theoretical and problem solving side and would explore a bit more into concepts of computer science whereas OCR was legit a memory game, the mark scheme was often so specific that even if your answer was on the right lines, you would not be awarded full marks because you missed out a key word.

Anyways what I recommend using is Isaac Computer science, craig n dave (although I found their vids very boring) and just the course textbook (for us, we had the massive textbook from PG Online) but I also used these notes written by a student that I found online.

I also recommend when it comes to past papers, just go through one without using notes, mark it and record where you dropped marks and use that as the initial basis on what you need to go over then branch out from there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (62)
56.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.55%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.36%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
5.45%

Watched Threads