I've chosen the wrong uni :/

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
so I recently started my first year at a uni that I had set my heart on! I was super excited to live in a new place, make new friends and study a subject I love.
Instead, I've found myself miserable. My flatmates are unsociable, I hate the campus layout, the city itself is really boring, the few societies I wanted to join are dead, and I've only made one genuine friend who feels exactly the same as me. I was really hoping to start/join a band at uni but I don't see that happening, since the uni doesn't do a music course and has very few music societies.

essentially, it sucks. I really don't know what to do. if I drop out, there is no guarantee that another uni would be better and I know it might make my mental health even worse.

I would love some advice, please
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so I recently started my first year at a uni that I had set my heart on! I was super excited to live in a new place, make new friends and study a subject I love.
Instead, I've found myself miserable. My flatmates are unsociable, I hate the campus layout, the city itself is really boring, the few societies I wanted to join are dead, and I've only made one genuine friend who feels exactly the same as me. I was really hoping to start/join a band at uni but I don't see that happening, since the uni doesn't do a music course and has very few music societies.

essentially, it sucks. I really don't know what to do. if I drop out, there is no guarantee that another uni would be better and I know it might make my mental health even worse.

Sorry to hear that 😕

It's been a month or so at University I'd say give your flatmates time they are adjusting too and the people on your course.

It's good you are studying a subject you love keep a focus on that. Keep a focus on what your career plans are if you didn't drop out and stayed. Think about the citys prospects job wise too. You can maybe get a part time job to keep you occupied????

if I drop out, there is no guarantee that another uni would be better and I know it might make my mental health even worse- exactly this! You always think the grass is greener if you get out of a situation but I'm not saying it isn't but sometimes it really isn't.

How about give yourself more time. I agree social aspect of University is as important as the course you are studying. But have you considered that your flatmates are trying to settle in too and perhaps they are struggling???

I know funding wise it might not be a good idea if you wait a little bit more then decide to drop out but how about doing a 1 year at this University then attend University open days to get a good idea and see if you can transfer to the Universities instead???

music course and has very few music societies - so the very few music societies there are how about YOU start the band and show that initiative????

With your course is there any option to do a placement year or internships to build that experi nice over 3 years so you are a experienced graduate instead?? You can spend time doing that instead off being around in the flat with unsociable people..

Seek mental health support if you can and liaise with the Student Services for advice on this.
anonymous5912
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I literally feel the same way i was so excited to come to the university that I'm at atm and now that I'm here I feel like I don't fit in as its so dead and the vibes are not it. same ive only made one friend who feels the same way as me and our flatmates arent the best either but I'm trying to stay a bit optimistic and hope it gets better!
If you get any advice please share it on
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
If you don't mind telling, which university at you at? I don't know why but it kind of sounds like UoM to me...
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
woah that sounds horrible im sorry hearing that... which university is this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads