I don’t like my friend with mental health issues

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So recently my friend (not really friend kind of but not really) has told me about her mental health issues and her social anxiety and things that worry her. I completely understand her and supported her but whenever I give her advice she just talks over me. Every time we are together all she does is talk about how depressed she is or when people come into the room she says things like oh no they’re looking at me and is all off and anxious all the time. Which is completely fine I understand this happens but I feel like it’s rubbing off on me. I used to be such a confident and happy person but whenever I’m with her I feel sad I overthink everything and generally I just feel down. All she does is talk about herself and once I mentioned something about me she went straight back to herself about her anxiety. I will be there for her but it’s just annoying how that’s all she talks about, doesn’t let me speak and the fact that her symptoms are rubbing off on me. Is this selfish of me to think like this? Because every time I’m with her I feel like I’m at rock bottom and every time I advise her she just doesn’t listen
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I have social anxiety, so I can relate to her. Talking about yourself all the time is something else though and you shouldn’t allow anyone to bring you down. Don’t feel guilty about moving on if you need to.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You've done your best to advise her. She doesn't want to listen. So in future don't give her any advice at all. Unless she specifically asks for it.

Aim to spend less or no time with her. And spend more time with other people.

Your health and safety are the most important things in your life. Do whatever you can to enhance and maintain them.
Your health and safety are more important than any individual friendship. So if you end up sacrificing this friendship; so be it.

You come across as someone with a lot of social empathy. That's good. Channel this social empathy in the right way and you can look forward to a successful and fulfilling life.

Aim to think less and do more. With time, as you build up life skills you should get better at launching yourself without hesitation into doing stuff.
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s fair enough because it sounds like she’s going through a very bad time with her mental health and you aren’t qualified or able to support that. She needs a friend to listen sometimes but she should be seeking proper counselling too. You could ask her to contact GP and seek proper support, but mention you are concerned for her and think she needs more than what you can give. Being close to someone struggling of course takes a toll on you too.
Math.Qs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes. Like others have said, give up on your friend. Just abandon her. It isn't your job to help your depressed friend right? Seems like the right thing to do.
Last edited by Math.Qs; 1 week ago
sufys12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So recently my friend (not really friend kind of but not really) has told me about her mental health issues and her social anxiety and things that worry her. I completely understand her and supported her but whenever I give her advice she just talks over me. Every time we are together all she does is talk about how depressed she is or when people come into the room she says things like oh no they’re looking at me and is all off and anxious all the time. Which is completely fine I understand this happens but I feel like it’s rubbing off on me. I used to be such a confident and happy person but whenever I’m with her I feel sad I overthink everything and generally I just feel down. All she does is talk about herself and once I mentioned something about me she went straight back to herself about her anxiety. I will be there for her but it’s just annoying how that’s all she talks about, doesn’t let me speak and the fact that her symptoms are rubbing off on me. Is this selfish of me to think like this? Because every time I’m with her I feel like I’m at rock bottom and every time I advise her she just doesn’t listen
Time to leave them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (35)
87.5%
No (5)
12.5%

Watched Threads