What happens if I fail the first year of uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do I have to re-do it and will I have to pay more because I will have to do an extra year?
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will have a chance to resit your failed modules again later in the year (usually around July time) or worst case scenario you might have to repeat the year. You will not have to pay anything extra out of pocket but you will have an SFE loan for 4 years rather than 3.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SyedN)
You will have a chance to resit your failed modules again later in the year (usually around July time) or worst case scenario you might have to repeat the year. You will not have to pay anything extra out of pocket but you will have an SFE loan for 4 years rather than 3.
So I will have to pay for 4 years?
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I will have to pay for 4 years?
Yup I believe so but post in the Ask SFE forum as they will be best suited to answer this.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Do I have to re-do it and will I have to pay more because I will have to do an extra year?
Depends on the university. If it's Cambridge, and it's 99% of courses, then you get kicked out. If it's a normal university () then you usually get to resit failed module(s) in a resit period and, so long as you pass then, you can progress to the next year. If you've failed any of them badly, or failed a lot of them, you might be asked to repeat the year. In any case, your standard SFE entitlement is for the length of your course plus one year, and this gift year can be used, inter alia, for repeating a year due to academic failure.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by SyedN)
Ooh, you're a FH in Universities now - that's great! We need people who know what they're talking about here, and you fit that bill very nicely Hope it's all going well.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Ooh, you're a FH in Universities now - that's great! We need people who know what they're talking about here, and you fit that bill very nicely Hope it's all going well.
Thanks you! It's going very well at the moment!
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
Nothing, you just redo or move on.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You are entitled for 4 years of funding so that won't be a problem it depends on how much you fail and how you fail these are the most likley:1 is most common 4 is least common but does happen (I know someone it happened to).
1/ You'll be offered resits's or a make up assignment in all the elements you failed.
2/ Marks you got in a another unit can compensate a bad mark in another unit if you only failed by a little bit.
3/ If you have failed the year by a lot you might be able to resit the year
4/ You might be kicked out if you failed after all resits second chances and everything.
If you fail just like 1 unit after the resit you might have to retake it alongside your second year courses. also f you do get option 4 you will still get credit for everything you passed but it's quite hard to get option 4.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads