have u guys ever thought of working in the middle east?

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A friend working in O&G moved there to UAE, but theres others like dubai etc etc pretty decent country. I have another friend working as a nurse there but i havent been in contact with her.

He told me its easy to get a job there because these countries are heavily reliant on expatriate man power. If money is the thing you only care of that would be a good option, plus employer tend to sponsor you everything , from meals, flight, accommodation . so salary is purely just for savings. And the taxes are low to non existent..
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Plenty of doctors do - as you said it's tax free and the demand for foreign (read Western) trained doctors mean that they are paid the big bucks.
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
And being either bombed on a weekday or beheaded on a weekend? No thanks.
HucktheForde
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Plenty of doctors do - as you said it's tax free and the demand for foreign (read Western) trained doctors mean that they are paid the big bucks.
Tempted to apply for a job there, mint some money for 5 years then **** off to ibiza to be drunk for a year. sounds good aye
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No.
I won't go anywhere near the middle east. :afraid:
Quite a few people I knew from school & uni or used to work with have relocated for work.
Attracted by the generous tax free salaries, warm weather and relocation allowances.
HucktheForde
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
I won't go anywhere near the middle east. :afraid:
Quite a few people I knew from school & uni or used to work with have relocated for work.
Attracted by the generous tax free salaries, warm weather and relocation allowances.
we not talking about syria , iraq, or afganistan.

dubai, UAE, Qatar seems pretty decent...
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
A friend working in O&G moved there to UAE, but theres others like dubai etc etc pretty decent country. I have another friend working as a nurse there but i havent been in contact with her.

He told me its easy to get a job there because these countries are heavily reliant on expatriate man power. If money is the thing you only care of that would be a good option, plus employer tend to sponsor you everything , from meals, flight, accommodation . so salary is purely just for savings. And the taxes are low to non existent..
Um UAE and Dubai are the same they're not different countries, Dubai is a city in UAE like London in the UK
HucktheForde
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Um UAE and Dubai are the same they're not different countries, Dubai is a city in UAE like London in the UK
AHHAHAHA ok silly me. I didnt know lol
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
warm weather
you mean boiling in the sun? I went there once and nearly burned my skin
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For teaching, definitely. Compared to the UK teachers there have it much better as far as salaries and work balance go.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I'm gay so middle east is never an option
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
we not talking about syria , iraq, or afganistan.

dubai, UAE, Qatar seems pretty decent...
Depends on your definition and lifestyle preferences.
Personally I'd stick to the traditional tax havens like the Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco and Switzerland. :cool:
josesh
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I used to live in the Middle East growing up and whilst it is nice and offers a great life - I wouldn’t recommend living there for more than a couple of years. I mean it obviously depends on the individual but places like Dubai and the rest of the UAE as well as Qatar are quite flashy. Again that may suit you - not really me. Also whilst expat life is great and relaxing - I found once I became a teenager I really needed to leave. It isn’t real life, sitting by the beach every weekend going out to dinner everyday etc it just didn’t feel like real life but again that could suit you! If I had to recommend anywhere in the Middle East iy would be Oman - it isn’t as flashy, retained its culture and isn’t as popular among certain people. I also love Kuwait and see it as my home but most people would probably find it rather boring.

I think however if you intend to move there and earn some money then move back that’s a good idea! My parents decided to move back as they found the UAE appalling in terms of human rights and the treatments of workers but if you are willing to ignore that I guess living in the Middle East offers financial benefit.

Also / don’t worry about moving away from friends - most people in the UAE for example are expats.
josesh
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also as with every tax haven reminder that just because there is little tax doesn’t necessarily mean you are saving money as you will have to pay for private education and property tends to cost a lot more than other countries. However lots of companies will include school fees - some even include housing packages.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by josesh)
I used to live in the Middle East growing up and whilst it is nice and offers a great life - I wouldn’t recommend living there for more than a couple of years. I mean it obviously depends on the individual but places like Dubai and the rest of the UAE as well as Qatar are quite flashy. Again that may suit you - not really me. Also whilst expat life is great and relaxing - I found once I became a teenager I really needed to leave. It isn’t real life, sitting by the beach every weekend going out to dinner everyday etc it just didn’t feel like real life but again that could suit you! If I had to recommend anywhere in the Middle East iy would be Oman - it isn’t as flashy, retained its culture and isn’t as popular among certain people. I also love Kuwait and see it as my home but most people would probably find it rather boring.

I think however if you intend to move there and earn some money then move back that’s a good idea! My parents decided to move back as they found the UAE appalling in terms of human rights and the treatments of workers but if you are willing to ignore that I guess living in the Middle East offers financial benefit.

Also / don’t worry about moving away from friends - most people in the UAE for example are expats.
Yes it's so flashy and materialistic! I only stayed for a few days but I remember having the most expensive meals and park rides and honestly got sick of it haha
Little pecker
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I want to and trying to get a project there

Just a nightmare with covid at the moment but I’d like to try UAE
josesh
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes it's so flashy and materialistic! I only stayed for a few days but I remember having the most expensive meals and park rides and honestly got sick of it haha
Yes same haha!!! Oman and Jordan are the only places I went which had quite a number of locals and weren’t as flashy. Kuwait kind of an in between but I guess some people love that lifestyle!
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by josesh)
Yes same haha!!! Oman and Jordan are the only places I went which had quite a number of locals and weren’t as flashy. Kuwait kind of an in between but I guess some people love that lifestyle!
Oh I only went to Dubai haha!! but I'm definitely not into that lifestyle
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you mean boiling in the sun? I went there once and nearly burned my skin
PRSOM.

My best friend's brother and his wife were supposed to stay for a middle eastern luxury summer holiday of 14 nights, left after 3.
She always wore long sleeves with full length trousers or dresses and only went out after 3pm but still couldn't cope with the heat at all.
She's tamil and spent years working in australia.
Ended up suffering severe dehydration & extreme sunburn where half her skin peeled off or blistered up leaving her with a nasty infection and being fed through tubes for 5 days after flying back.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Almost went to UAE to teach philosophy but home circs didn't really allow it at the time so binned it off. Not opposed to it for a wee while, like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads