Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all, wondering if there are any areas where night shifts aren’t on the rota for F1/F2, currently in the application process and very concerned I’ll struggle with nights and mental health issues.

I’ve tried emailing deaneries but they’ve not been much help

Currently interested in the north west and midlands. Considering peninsula and Severn.

Thanks!!
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did my f1 in Yeovil (Severn deanery) - policy there was no nights for f1s but this was >10yrs ago. Other hospitals within the deanery did still have f1s doing nights. All f2 posts have nights at some point.

If you’ll struggle with mental health and nights, you need to apply for whichever location will give you the best support network and then talk to occupational health about your concerns around night shifts and they can then make a recommendation that you don’t do night shifts if they feel that is needed.

I’ve had large blocks of my training where I’ve done fewer nights/on calls and even chunks with no on calls at all when that has been needed - occupational health have been the ones involved in this.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all, wondering if there are any areas where night shifts aren’t on the rota for F1/F2, currently in the application process and very concerned I’ll struggle with nights and mental health issues.

I’ve tried emailing deaneries but they’ve not been much help

Currently interested in the north west and midlands. Considering peninsula and Severn.

Thanks!!
King's Mill in Mansfield used to not give any nights to FY1s, but IMO it's a valuable experience because you're more junior and they know and hopefully will give you the support you need.

As far as I know, nowhere will not give FY2s without special circumstances nights (i.e. unless you're exempt, all FY2 have to work nights at some point).
Anonymous #1
Thank you this is actually really helpful to know!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
King's Mill in Mansfield used to not give any nights to FY1s, but IMO it's a valuable experience because you're more junior and they know and hopefully will give you the support you need.

As far as I know, nowhere will not give FY2s without special circumstances nights (i.e. unless you're exempt, all FY2 have to work nights at some point).
It’s not that I’m opposed to doing it I, just concerned that I won’t be able to cope with them more than not being able to if that makes any sense
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It’s not that I’m opposed to doing it I, just concerned that I won’t be able to cope with them more than not being able to if that makes any sense
The problem with not doing them in FY1 is that you would face an even steeper learning curve when you are an FY2 and have to participate in the full SHO on-call rota.

I would rather not go through that trial by fire.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
The problem with not doing them in FY1 is that you would face an even steeper learning curve when you are an FY2 and have to participate in the full SHO on-call rota.

I would rather not go through that trial by fire.
To be fair, I did no nights in FY1 (Lewisham, South London, no idea if it's still the same) then started FY2 with 7 ED nights. It was ok really. I don't feel like it's a major disadvantage (she says, writing 11 years later still on a night shift :rolleyes: ).

Health reasons is another matter but needs to be addressed officially - I don't think it's possible to get through the whole of Foundation without them just by picking jobs carefully.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Helenia)
To be fair, I did no nights in FY1 (Lewisham, South London, no idea if it's still the same) then started FY2 with 7 ED nights. It was ok really. I don't feel like it's a major disadvantage (she says, writing 11 years later still on a night shift :rolleyes: ).

Health reasons is another matter but needs to be addressed officially - I don't think it's possible to get through the whole of Foundation without them just by picking jobs carefully.
Sure, but having worked as a CMT doing admission nights (taking referrals direct from ED) I felt that ED nights is similar to working an ED days (perhaps even more relaxing especially towards the smaller hours)!

You're still quite well supported and at least you are still in one department (arguably the best-staffed at those particular hours).

Contrast that with any other specialty SHO nights, and you may well be completely on your own wandering all around empty corridors with only the registrar / non-resident consultant available on the phone... it can be a nerve wrecking experience.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I believe FY1s in London and parts of SE England don't do nights.

I did FYs in the Midlands where we did nights.

What is it that you don't think you'll be able to cope with?

I would have taken any of my FY1 nights over FY1 weekend day time ward cover, just saying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.14%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.29%

Watched Threads