Izzoma
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys,

I study criminology, history and theology A-level.
I would like to study criminology at university.
I have already wrote a paragraph on criminology a level course.
I need advice on how to link history and theology to criminology. or just tips on how to write them.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You don't need to talk about your A Levels at all. Focus on the things you've done in your own time about criminology and why they interest you
Izzoma
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was told we had to talk about how our a level subjects relate to the course we want to do.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Izzoma)
Hey guys,

I study criminology, history and theology A-level.
I have already wrote a paragraph on criminology a level course.
I need advice on how to link history and theology to criminology. or just tips on how to write them.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated
Hey there,

Connecting your current studies to the subject you want to study can be a great section for your personal statement. As mentioned above, you don't need to include them if you can't think of a link as you're best placed writing about the stuff that is relevant to you and the stuff that makes you a more fantastic student than the other candidates.

With that said, consider...
- How have your current studies affected your choice?
--> Was there something you studied in History that linked in to Criminology in a way you didn't expect? The history of legislation, a certain case study, etc.
- What do you enjoy about your current studies?
--> In Theology, you may have enjoyed studying about why people believe certain things or think the way they do. The way that people think can affect the way they act, which is potentially why you chose both of those subjects - but have a think for yourself, there's almost always a level of overlap between any two subjects.

Best of luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was told we had to talk about how our a level subjects relate to the course we want to do.
Talking about them isn't individual or personal to you - the admissions tutors will know what sort of content they cover and what skills you can gain from them. You would be better off talking about things you have done outside of your A Levels.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Criminology is just a Sociology degree with extra units, and its fairly meaningless in career terms - you are not going to become 'a Criminologist' or any sort of 'expert' with this . You would be far better doing a straight Socilogy degree which will leave so many more doors open to you.
Olga from Volga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TS, the fact that you're doing A level Criminology is already a big bonus! Elaborate on that.
I would not worry expanding on all aspects of theology and history but try and sell your critical thinking and other relevant abilities.

Can I also join "tips and advice" question on personal statement for Criminology please?
I was not very impressed with templates I've found here or elsewhere so far.
If another course I am interested in another university is Cyber Security and Digital Forensics, is it possible to make a PS relevant to both at all?

Many thanks
Last edited by Olga from Volga; 1 week ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Olga from Volga)
you're doing A level Criminology
There is no A level in Criminology.
Its a daft Welsh Board Diploma that has limited academic credibilty and is not accepted by many top Universities.
Olga from Volga
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by McGinger)
There is no A level in Criminology.
Its a daft Welsh Board Diploma that has limited academic credibilty and is not accepted by many top Universities.
McGinger, with all due respect, you made a very categorical statement earlier in my thread which was frankly false, hence you swiftly removed it without acknowledging the misleading:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7107905

Neither TS nor me were asking about credibility of A-levels or in fact Criminology degree in this thread, but rather seek advice on personal statement.
Thanks.
Last edited by Olga from Volga; 1 week ago
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Olga from Volga)
McGinger, with all due respect, you made a very categorical statement earlier in my thread which was frankly false, hence you swiftly removed it without acknowledging the misleading:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7107905

Neither TS nor me were asking about credibility of A-levels or in fact Criminology degree in this thread, but rather seek advice on personal statement.
Thanks.
As I remember, you teach Criminology so its understandable that you will support this qualification.

I will always advise applicants about the reality of this qualifcation - and make it quite clear to applicants that it is not 'an A level' or 'the same as an A level' or 'equivelant to an A level'. Many schools are being deliberatly deceptive about this and their students find out the hard way about its lack of worth.

Criminology as a degree is also of limited value. It appeals to applicants because of the 'glamour' or 'being a Criminologist'. Its a nonsense. No career requires a first degree in Criminology and students would be far better doing a wider social science degree that might actually provide them with some genuine career options.

And btw, that link relates to Cambridge applications and has nothing to do with this conversation.
Izzoma
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey there,

Connecting your current studies to the subject you want to study can be a great section for your personal statement. As mentioned above, you don't need to include them if you can't think of a link as you're best placed writing about the stuff that is relevant to you and the stuff that makes you a more fantastic student than the other candidates.

With that said, consider...
- How have your current studies affected your choice?
--> Was there something you studied in History that linked in to Criminology in a way you didn't expect? The history of legislation, a certain case study, etc.
- What do you enjoy about your current studies?
--> In Theology, you may have enjoyed studying about why people believe certain things or think the way they do. The way that people think can affect the way they act, which is potentially why you chose both of those subjects - but have a think for yourself, there's almost always a level of overlap between any two subjects.

Best of luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
Thank you so much
Olga from Volga
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by McGinger)
As I remember, you teach Criminology so its understandable that you will support this qualification.

I will always advise applicants about the reality of this qualifcation - and make it quite clear to applicants that it is not 'an A level' or 'the same as an A level' or 'equivelant to an A level'. Many schools are being deliberatly deceptive about this and their students find out the hard way about its lack of worth.

Criminology as a degree is also of limited value. It appeals to applicants because of the 'glamour' or 'being a Criminologist'. Its a nonsense. No career requires a first degree in Criminology and students would be far better doing a wider social science degree that might actually provide them with some genuine career options.

And btw, that link relates to Cambridge applications and has nothing to do with this conversation.
So does "remembering the fact that I teach Criminology" come from the same source as "Cambridge colleges do not have second application rounds"?
Basically non-existent.

My reference to that topic was just to point out that you casually provide disinformation.
I do not teach Criminology. I joined this thread as, just like OP, I am looking for people who are working on their personal statement in this field.
Your personal agenda on this subject does not bring anything to the table in this instance.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
There is a whole load of generic PS advice here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
Olga from Volga
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
There is a whole load of generic PS advice here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
Thank you, Interrobang👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (284)
57.72%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (67)
13.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.54%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed