What is happening with benefit scroungers now?

Watch
JVM2020
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Many years ago, there were benefit scroungers. Those who lived off our taxes and paid for their alcohol and cigarettes because of us. Some would never have a job and treated their job seekers allowance like pocket money.

i am not aware of much right now, after seeing some reach an age of 30 and never having a job but being on benefits when capable of working.

Does anybody have anything to say?
Advertisement
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good thing you mentioned JSA otherwise I would have thought you were talking about career politicians.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When people complain about this I think they forget that we live in a country of health jihad and health crusaders.

82% of the cost of a pack of cigs goes the government. Alcohol has also been taxed to death. If people are smoking or drinking away their JSA then we're losing very little money actually.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good for them, we should be able to support an excess.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Good for them, we should be able to support an excess.
Quite right. The country is doing well if we can subsidise a handful of slackers.
Advertisement
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Those who are uk citizens without serious criminal records or a history of serious mental health problems are now living with the 'welfare cap' and its consequences. :cool:
Many are also subject to 'bedroom tax' style deductions or other restrictions that ensure their full accomodation costs are not directly funded via welfare funds.
Most have been led or forced down the part time work and limited self-employment routes.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Having actually been on universal credit for a while i can assure you it is quite difficult to 'scrounge' you literally have people ringing you up all the time and asking what work you have been looking at.

Plus i got £300 a month so hardly rolling around the floor in a pile of cigarettes and bailey's
Advertisement
JVM2020
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Having actually been on universal credit for a while i can assure you it is quite difficult to 'scrounge' you literally have people ringing you up all the time and asking what work you have been looking at.

Plus i got £300 a month so hardly rolling around the floor in a pile of cigarettes and bailey's
I applaud you for sharing your testimony. I trust you overcame this.

What is further on topic is I know that the scroungers did appear on Jeremy Kyle which is now shutdown.
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Power to em, make the most of the system coz its taking enough from you
Advertisement
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone have anything to say? Only that you're making out a small problem to be far worse than it is.
As to the 'being able to work' remark, given that untold numbers of people are unable to get work because they simply dont have the qualifications/skills being sought, as business leaders have been saying in recent weeks, how do you propose they get jobs when no one will hire them, even for gopher work??
Roberts 64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone who can afford alcohol and cigarettes as well as meeting all their other needs on JSA has a far better grasp of fiscal responsibility that Conservative voters and the high spend/high tax party they support.
Advertisement
Djtoodles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Does anyone have anything to say? Only that you're making out a small problem to be far worse than it is.
As to the 'being able to work' remark, given that untold numbers of people are unable to get work because they simply dont have the qualifications/skills being sought, as business leaders have been saying in recent weeks, how do you propose they get jobs when no one will hire them, even for gopher work??
Off to the spice mines of Kessel with them.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Djtoodles)
Off to the spice mines of Kessel with them.
The dilithium mines of Rura Penthe are too good for em I say.
Advertisement
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
Many years ago, there were benefit scroungers. Those who lived off our taxes and paid for their alcohol and cigarettes because of us. Some would never have a job and treated their job seekers allowance like pocket money.

i am not aware of much right now, after seeing some reach an age of 30 and never having a job but being on benefits when capable of working.

Does anybody have anything to say?
???

Sorry, but who are these people who can live on £74.70 a week in today's society? I have just been for a pint with a mate and it cost me £8.86 for two pints. Our weekly shop for a family of four comes in at around £70 a week. So how do you live your best life on £74.70 a week?
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by hotpud)
???

Sorry, but who are these people who can live on £74.70 a week in today's society? I have just been for a pint with a mate and it cost me £8.86 for two pints. Our weekly shop for a family of four comes in at around £70 a week. So how do you live your best life on £74.70 a week?
They don't live a good life it just that some people love to look down at other people. They are what same people see as the undeserving poor. There are very few people of normal intelligence who have never had employment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads