I need help choosing what to study at A-Levels!!!

Watch
Korey4800
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am deciding to apply to a certain sixth form that have outstanding grades, however I'm struggling to decide whether I should take Computer Science, or Physics.

I'm planning to go down the route of Acturial Science, and one day hope to become an actuary.

The actuary related courses the sixth form offer are
- Mathematics
- Economics
- Further Maths

However they don't offer business, so do I choose Computer Science or Physics.
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you tried looking at other sixth forms that also do Business?

Which do you prefer and enjoy more between Physics and Computer Science?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How to Choose 6th Form subjects - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Korey4800
Rep:
?
emek4official I've only done physics, and to say the least its ok, its the topic I get the lowest grade in (6) , and the least entertaining for me out the 3 sciences, however I wouldn't mind too much studying it at A - level. I've actually never done computer science at Gcse rn, but I do take courses such as "Creative I-media" which is still a bit relevant towards working on a computer. To be honest, I just want to take the course which is most applicable to becoming an actuary.
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, why not take Media at A Level?
Korey4800
Rep:
?
Would that help me to become an actuary though? I'm not too sure....
Korey4800
Rep:
?
(Original post by Korey4800)
Well to be honest if it did help me, I'd be more than welcome to choose it as I'm performing exceptionally well at it right now, but I really doubt it has any relevance.
HedgePig
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’d say that Computer Science would be more directly relevant as the ability to program is a useful skill for an actuary. However, I don’t think it really matters what you take as your fourth subject. Take whatever you enjoy and are good at.

In fact I’d argue that completely non-mathematical subjects like History or English could be useful. The later actuarial exams are far more about synthesising a coherent argument around an issue and I think an essay subject would develop these skills.
Korey4800
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by HedgePig)
I’d say that Computer Science would be more directly relevant as the ability to program is a useful skill for an actuary. However, I don’t think it really matters what you take as your fourth subject. Take whatever you enjoy and are good at.

In fact I’d argue that completely non-mathematical subjects like History or English could be useful. The later actuarial exams are far more about synthesising a coherent argument around an issue and I think an essay subject would develop these skills.
Thank you, this helped.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Korey4800)
No more or less than physics, which is totally irrelevant. Or for that matter CS - as far as I'm aware actuaries just USE computers, as with any office job; they don't program things or need to know the underlying theory of why computers work.

Economics and double maths is fine as a set of just three A-levels, and there is no advantage in taking more than three when it comes to uni admissions. So I would suggest just sticking with those. If your school requires you start with 4, just pick whatever seems interesting then drop it at the first opportunity.
HedgePig
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No more or less than physics, which is totally irrelevant. Or for that matter CS - as far as I'm aware actuaries just USE computers, as with any office job; they don't program things or need to know the underlying theory of why computers work.
I agree with most of Artful Lounger’s advice, except the bit about actuaries not programming. It’s true that most don’t but a significant minority do, even if it’s relatively small scale stuff and not something that they are doing all the time. So it’s definitely useful skill to have. But even then I don’t think Conputer Science is a must-have A level. Most pick it up on the job but having a bit more formal knowledge is helpful.

(I’m an actuary.)
Last edited by HedgePig; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads