The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Evlyn Gardens then I take it...which one pray tell?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
DaveManUK
Eg, there are no tvs in the kitchens, .

:confused: ! I live in Beit, and even here there are no tvs in the kitchens...which halls have a telly in every kitchen?!?!
Reply 22
4Ed

There is quite a bit of spare time if you can squeeze it in,

No...this is very dependant on the subject. For mine there really isn't alot of spare time, the timetable is pretty gruelling.....

It'll be different for other subjects though.......e.g for physics, you could probably do all the clubs/socs available in the union, set up 5 more and still have half your week free :wink:
Reply 23
BossLady
No...this is very dependant on the subject. For mine there really isn't alot of spare time, the timetable is pretty gruelling.....

This depends on the person a lot, I know Computing people who have loads of spare time.

It'll be different for other subjects though.......e.g for physics, you could probably do all the clubs/socs available in the union, set up 5 more and still have half your week free :wink:

(indidentally, this isn't actually true -- before we put people off doing physics here. I think it was just the first week, and the Maths what-did-you-learn-at-school test they had, which was multiple choice and started with "11 is a prime number, true/false")
Reply 24
chaoscomplex

which was multiple choice and started with "11 is a prime number, true/false")

You're not really helping :p:
Reply 25
It did get harder! I think they called it a diagnosis test or something, it was set to see if anyone needed extra help with maths. Which is good, better to get the help at the beginning than to fail at the end of the year because no one knew.
Reply 26
chaoscomplex
This depends on the person a lot, I know Computing people who have loads of spare time.

Do those people skip lectures by any chance? :rolleyes: Looking at the computing timetable, it does look pretty evil. I'm already getting scared that it's going to be like another 4 years of doing A-Levels with the whole day timetabled and all. :frown:
Reply 27
chaoscomplex

I know *alot* of people doing computing in general....and quite frankly alot of them do NOT seem to get alot of free time compared to other subjects. Realistically I personally don't feel the timetable allows for most people to do an extreme amount of outside activities unless one skips many lectures. I think the motto "work hard, play hard" is very appropriate for anyone studying computing here.
The only people I know from computing who have a great deal of free time (ie similar to the amount that physicsy people have) are the ones who do very little work, skipping lectures.
Someone has pointed out to me that of course we do have evenings after 5 or 6ish, weekends and wednesday afternoons free, which is true, just no "frees" as such ie random free hours during the day unless it's for lunch.

chaoscomplex

(indidentally, this isn't actually true -- before we put people off doing physics here. I think it was just the first week, and the Maths what-did-you-learn-at-school test they had, which was multiple choice and started with "11 is a prime number, true/false")

"Incidentally" dear yes it is, though I've heard it's a little harsher during the second year (but come on anything will harsher than what they have already). A problem sheet every few weeks and a lab report a few times a term is absolutely nothing.
By the way, for the first few weeks of term, from what I understand, they went just went through maths from a-level. They still seem to have a very relaxed timetable even though they've finished with the a-level maths.
Reply 28
well... I got an offer from imperial but it costs too much so I am thinking of turning them down now...
Reply 29
utkucan
Do those people skip lectures by any chance? :rolleyes: Looking at the computing timetable, it does look pretty evil. I'm already getting scared that it's going to be like another 4 years of doing A-Levels with the whole day timetabled and all. :frown:

Either that, or they are ridiculously clever and do everything very quickly!

Btw, don't worry about it, just apply the "Work Hard, Play Hard" motto and you'll be fine! On the plus side you'll be on the best comp sci course in the country, so you're getting the best education you could be getting :biggrin:
And hey, sometimes we get to go in at 10am or 11am(if there are labs in the morning and you skip em lol) for lectures which is nice :smile: ...lol I don't believe I'm excited about a 10/11am start, my friends in other unis complain when they have to get up at such an evil time!
lol, I'm sure I'm scaring you now, just chill, it'll be fine once you start. Good luck with ur alevels :cool:

edit: btw I've heard first year and second year are the worst timetable wise, due to all the compulsory modules (in first year you don't get to choose anything, cept if you wanna do a language or the topics module in the summer term). You get to choose modules in the second term of the second year though :smile:. Someone was telling me how they found that first/second yr were MAD, but that 3rd year was great and they had some days off!
Reply 30
anchemis
well... I got an offer from imperial but it costs too much so I am thinking of turning them down now...

That's terrible :frown:
When and where does it cost too much?
Are you overseas applicant?
Can't you apply for scholarships/subsidies?
OK... this is physics fight back time!! we do not have as much free time as "bosslady" has been making out, and id love to know where she gets that impression from!!

I have a buddy on my course who did computing last year (and swaped to physics because its blatently more interesting) and he said i quote "i i had worked as hard as i am working now last year id have got a 1st in computing no problem"

Besides the fact that at least two of the days of my week are solid 9-5 lectures&Lab (which i worse than in my 6th form) and Every one has wednesday afternoons off i have no idea where this "easy physics" idea came from. Engeneering is busy busy, but what do you expect from a vocational subject ?!? if you want the real slackers, look to the medical students ((I have my suspicions that the physics students are just better at managing thier time than the computing students hence all this silly we don't work rubbish... but that may just be me))

in any case i have a lab report due on friday, so i won't be going out. (see any prospective phys students on my UCAS tour on wednesday!!)
Reply 32
little.rebel.L
OK... this is physics fight back time!! we do not have as much free time as "bosslady" has been making out, and id love to know where she gets that impression from!!

She makes it up. I PMd her, since I thought she was being OTT, and the constant "physics is crap" drivel was starting to annoy me.

BossLady
Matt....quite frankly Shut Up.
There's no harm in subject rivalry :biggrin: ...this is a forum anyway, if people take everything said here as gospel they shouldn't be coming to Imperial.

IMO it went past subject rivalry a while ago.

little.rebel.L
((I have my suspicions that the physics students are just better at managing thier time than the computing students hence all this silly we don't work rubbish... but that may just be me))

I suspect this is the real reason.
uhhh sorry if i came accross a bit Over The Top, but physics seems to get bashed by every one! and it gets annoying. totaly agree with the different amounts of work thing, and to be fair, humanitys students might get a load of free time but can i do esseys? no. Realisticly we choose subjects we are good at, and there is a very good reason i don't do medicine. So work etc is pot luck, and besides its first year.. we can come back to this next year when we haven't enough free time to breath.
Reply 34
After writing that, I turned round and saw my roommate (physicist) playing Solitaire on Windows. I said what I'd written, and asked if he had any work to do. He laughed, and said "if I did all that, I'd be here for months. I've got loads of tutorial sheets I haven't done." Presumably they're optional.
Reply 35
That lazy John, eh Matt? :p:
Seriously Bosslady, if I ever meet you I will kick your ass. Physics is not easy.
Reply 36
little.rebel.L
uhhh sorry if i came accross a bit Over The Top, but physics seems to get bashed by every one! and it gets annoying. totaly agree with the different amounts of work thing, and to be fair, humanitys students might get a load of free time but can i do esseys? no. Realisticly we choose subjects we are good at, and there is a very good reason i don't do medicine. So work etc is pot luck, and besides its first year.. we can come back to this next year when we haven't enough free time to breath.

Indeed, apologies to you for coming across as OTT also, though I stick by my original comments that I do think they have it a little easier compared to other subjects (bar medicine! lol). i do however agree with your point that work is pot luck. And subject rivalry is fine, we all love Imperial anyway :biggrin:

As for you chaoscomplex, you are starting to annoy me greatly. Can it seriously. "She is making it up"...I've no idea where you got that from. I'd say you're the one making things up now dear.

Lol@Edders. Talking tough doesn't suit you, drop it.
Reply 37
BossLady
:confused: ! I live in Beit, and even here there are no tvs in the kitchens...which halls have a telly in every kitchen?!?!

Southwell does. :biggrin:
Reply 38
I'm glad Bernard Sunley doesn't :smile:
Reply 39
85ah11
Southwell does. :biggrin:

Ah. I'll have to correct you there, the infamous Area 51 (PRIDE!!! :biggrin:) of Southwell Hall, only have radios. But who else in Southwell knows every person in the building? :biggrin:

I'll stop here since this isn't the right thread to reason why Southwell is the best! :aetsch:

Latest