LydiaMycroft
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya, I really want to do my EPQ on the colonisation of Mars/should humans colonise Mars. However, my supervisor says that it is too broad a question, and it is too future focussed - it is too hypothetical. How could I narrow down this topic to something achievable within approx. 5000 words, and how could I fit it into a timescale that doesn't require too much speculation. e.g. Should humans colonise Mars given our current advancements in science and technology?
MadyanC1
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Actually its good to have a broad initial title, you can use this to your advantage to demonstrate development of your EPQ. This is the reason why the production log asks you for your initial title and then your final title, because it is likely that as you build upon your project, you will be able to streamline the direction your EPQ goes.

I would keep your title as it is, then demonstrate evidence of research in your production log after to show that you are exploring the broad title to find specific areas of interest, producing a more specific final title (you dont have to choose a specific one this early).

Hopefully your supervisor doesn't act like a know it all and ignore you lmao
LydiaMycroft
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MadyanC1)
Actually its good to have a broad initial title, you can use this to your advantage to demonstrate development of your EPQ. This is the reason why the production log asks you for your initial title and then your final title, because it is likely that as you build upon your project, you will be able to streamline the direction your EPQ goes.

I would keep your title as it is, then demonstrate evidence of research in your production log after to show that you are exploring the broad title to find specific areas of interest, producing a more specific final title (you dont have to choose a specific one this early).

Thank you
I've asked my EPQ supervisor about this and am waiting for a reply. <3
MadyanC1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LydiaMycroft)
Thank you
I've asked my EPQ supervisor about this and am waiting for a reply. <3
No problem!
Googley_eyes
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

This isn’t good advice. OP needs to narrow down an area.

Don’t have any title, do your research first and from what you discover, form a title around that therefore you can’t go off topic as your focus is based on your research, not the other way round. Maybe focus on a difficulty of colonizing Mars, or a benefit, and make it narrow in that sense.
MadyanC1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
This isn’t good advice. OP needs to narrow down an area.

Don’t have any title, do your research first and from what you discover, form a title around that therefore you can’t go off topic as your focus is based on your research, not the other way round. Maybe focus on a difficulty of colonizing Mars, or a benefit, and make it narrow in that sense.
This is the advice my EPQ supervisor gave me.

I started off with the title: "What are the different healthcare systems around the world?"

Then I realised this was too broad (it is also good to acknowledge difficulties which you overcome especially in your presentation) and narrowed it down to "How does the NHS compare to healthcare systems around the world?"

AO3 marks are for the development of a project, and my supervisor explained that the change in title can demonstrate this, showing your decision making to narrow down to a specific topic to research.

But if your supervisor is stubborn, just follow his instructions because teachers are realistically probably going to give you more marks if your EPQ is the way they like it.

For context, I managed to get 48/50 for my final project (my supervisor told me my mark).
Googley_eyes
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This is the advice my EPQ supervisor gave me.

I started off with the title: "What are the different healthcare systems around the world?"

Then I realised this was too broad (it is also good to acknowledge difficulties which you overcome especially in your presentation) and narrowed it down to "How does the NHS compare to healthcare systems around the world?"

AO3 marks are for the development of a project, and my supervisor explained that the change in title can demonstrate this, showing your decision making to narrow down to a specific topic to research.

But if your supervisor is stubborn, just follow his instructions because teachers are realistically probably going to give you more marks if your EPQ is the way they like it.

For context, I managed to get 48/50 for my final project (my supervisor told me my mark).
My supervisor told me to form a title around my research so you can’t miss the objective, but show your initial titles and the direction everything took you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads