Core practical 13: brine shrimp

Watch this thread
zarahh09
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What is the theory of temperature on enzyme action specifically in the context of development/growth?
cocopops1618
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but anyway.

Increase in temperature increases enzyme activity due to the enzyme having higher kinetic energy and therefore creating a greater chance of successful collisions to form enzyme-substrate complexes. This increases growth rate because enzymes involved in DNA synthesis and replication are able to work faster so proteins can be synthesised more quickly. After the optimum temperature of enzymes as been reached, higher temperatures cause the enzyme to denature so the active site no longer fits the substrate. This can cause a decrease in growth rate or even death of cells/the animal.
zarahh09
(Original post by cocopops1618)
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but anyway.

Increase in temperature increases enzyme activity due to the enzyme having higher kinetic energy and therefore creating a greater chance of successful collisions to form enzyme-substrate complexes. This increases growth rate because enzymes involved in DNA synthesis and replication are able to work faster so proteins can be synthesised more quickly. After the optimum temperature of enzymes as been reached, higher temperatures cause the enzyme to denature so the active site no longer fits the substrate. This can cause a decrease in growth rate or even death of cells/the animal.
Thank you
I dont really know what I have to put for this question because my teacher literally told us to look up theory of temperature on enzyme action specifically in the context of development/growth and i couldn't find anything.

I genuinely dont understand this question
cocopops1618
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by zarahh09)
Thank you
I dont really know what I have to put for this question because my teacher literally told us to look up theory of temperature on enzyme action specifically in the context of development/growth and i couldn't find anything.

I genuinely dont understand this question
No problem!

It is quite a tough one. The theory of temperature on enzyme action is a relatively simple concept but it's hard to know what the mark scheme would credit with this type of question. It's hard to know what the examiner wants you to say. If this kind of thing came up in an exam I would definitely recommend just talk as much around the topic as possible and put in some key words. Even if you don't answer something completely right you might still pick up marks for contextualising the question. Good luck!!
zarahh09
(Original post by cocopops1618)
No problem!

It is quite a tough one. The theory of temperature on enzyme action is a relatively simple concept but it's hard to know what the mark scheme would credit with this type of question. It's hard to know what the examiner wants you to say. If this kind of thing came up in an exam I would definitely recommend just talk as much around the topic as possible and put in some key words. Even if you don't answer something completely right you might still pick up marks for contextualising the question. Good luck!!
thank youuu
thomas.rhett
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
increasing temperature increases kinetic energy of molecules so greater proportion of collisions now have energy greater than activation energy so rate of all reactions increase -> faster development / growth

if temperature is too high intramolecular vibrations of R groups in proteins may have sufficient energy to break bonds between R groups that hold tertiary structure of proteins thus denaturing enzymes so active site is no longer complimentary to substrate / substrate cannot bind to active site and no ESC forms resulting in reduced rate of enzymes catalyzed metabolic reactions such as respiration, transcription, translation etc. -> slower development / growth ; enzymes have an optimum temperature. cell cycle controls growth ; cell division and growth needs energy from ATP for DNA replication ; protein synthesis ; so if respiration is slow then cell division and growth will be slow.

temperature can affect gene expression. in some species incubation temperature affects the sex of the offspring hatching. ; because enzymes are needed to phosphorylate / activate transcription factors.

furthermore brine shrimp are thermoconformers so their body temperature changes with ambient temperature.
Last edited by thomas.rhett; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (21)
17.5%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
25.83%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (64)
53.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.33%

Watched Threads