TC123451
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So this year I have been funding myself via the doctoral loans, as the project was a self-funded one. The PhD is 'cheap' so it wasn't too much of a concern for me at first, however after meeting everyone else doing PhD's at the university I am now seeing that I'm basically the only one without funding (even for people doing very similar projects). Can I get funding for my second year? It is STEM if that helps

+ worst case scenario if I don't receive funding for any of the years, will this impact on my chances of getting into academia?

Thanks
Last edited by TC123451; 6 days ago
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TC123451)
So this year I have been funding myself via the doctoral loans, as the project was a self-funded one. The PhD is 'cheap' so it wasn't too much of a concern for me at first, however after meeting everyone else doing PhD's at the university I am now seeing that I'm basically the only one without funding (even for people doing very similar projects). Can I get funding for my second year? It is STEM if that helps
Depends on the funding/ scholarship. Speak to your supervisor.

+ worst case scenario if I don't receive funding for any of the years, will this impact on my chances of getting into academia?
No...and that is an odd conclusion to make. :confused:
Last edited by 0le; 5 days ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Many universities (certainly mine) will not let a PhD student start or allow a supervisor to take on a new student unless the whole funding package is agreed first up front. It’s to avoid exactly this situation, people starting with self funding and then running into problems and suddenly needing additional £££ to complete. Sorry to say this, but there will be very little in the way of serious funding to cover this kind of situation.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Thanks
I think it will be hard to get funding at this point, I cant recall meeting anyone who got funding half way through. Maybe it will happen but it would be pretty unusual. I think a problem you may find is the funding allocations are designed for complete PhDs not two thirds of a PhD.

Wether you are funded or not will be far less important then your list of publications, networking and quality of thesis (and stuff like teaching...). That said I have heard getting funded is a benefit as it shows you can build applications for funding which is obviously an important element of working in research where you need to bring in research grants to fund your work.
TC123451
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks everyone. I've spoke to my supervisor and they said they'd be happy to put forward an application for funding. I don't think there's any particular rules against funding for PhD students later on in their studies? Particularly the ones associated with STEM? If anyone knows otherwise please say.

My general impression from the comments is that it's less likely to get funding midway through a PhD. I don't know how true this is but I admit it's a bit of an unusual scenario, most people will have sorted first year funding onwards. Any other insight would be appreciated
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks everyone. I've spoke to my supervisor and they said they'd be happy to put forward an application for funding. I don't think there's any particular rules against funding for PhD students later on in their studies? Particularly the ones associated with STEM? If anyone knows otherwise please say.

My general impression from the comments is that it's less likely to get funding midway through a PhD. I don't know how true this is but I admit it's a bit of an unusual scenario, most people will have sorted first year funding onwards. Any other insight would be appreciated
AFAIK, research council funding is typically only awarded for a full PhD program to those yet to start, so wouldn't be awarded to current PhD students. If the funding is from an organisation or university, there may be fewer restrictions.

I have heard of Arts and Humanities PhD students successfully applying for RC funding during their first year, but I've never heard of that happening for STEM students.
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

It depends which area of STEM? I work in neuroscience, from my understanding it would be possible to approach, say, a charity to apply for "partial funding" for a PhD. My original PhD funding (from an externally-funded scholarship the University had control in awarding) only covered my stipend and fees after it got split between two projects this year, so my supervisors applied for consumables funds from the MNDA (as im studying MND). This would probably be more common for that area (consumables/experiments) but it may be a possibility (rarely, but maybe) for stipends/fees.
TC123451
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
It depends which area of STEM? I work in neuroscience, from my understanding it would be possible to approach, say, a charity to apply for "partial funding" for a PhD. My original PhD funding (from an externally-funded scholarship the University had control in awarding) only covered my stipend and fees after it got split between two projects this year, so my supervisors applied for consumables funds from the MNDA (as im studying MND). This would probably be more common for that area (consumables/experiments) but it may be a possibility (rarely, but maybe) for stipends/fees.
I see. The area is in biophysics, so maybe the likes of the EPSRC could provide funding? Or some other body
Last edited by TC123451; 5 days ago
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I see. The area is in biophysics, so maybe the likes of the EPSRC could provide funding? Or some other body
EPSRC Is a funding council, typically in my experience they only fully fund stuff so it would be too late for them. For me, the MNDA is a charity funding work in related areas to my project so are open to small project funding.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Note that EPSRC funding is normally allocated via the Dept -> Research Group -> Supervisor route and comes in only a few flavours, the total amount is based on the university’s EPSRC grant income. A DTA (3.5 years fees + bursary) and a CASE topup which requires industry buy in and then typically a bid internal to the university, and occasionally through a CDT. I don’t know of any EPSRC scheme that lets a current student bid for a partial studentship.

For the OP, it’s important to know why things are structured this way. In STEM PhD studentships are always in short supply and cost about £100k each. If it was possible to start unfunded or partially funded PhD students and then dip into the system in some way then you can guarantee that a small number of dodgy supervisors would try to play the system. Hence the “sort out funding at the start and stick to it” situation, though disruption from covid has triggered some special case topup funding for current studentships this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.93%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.79%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.92%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.15%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.58%

Watched Threads