New personal statement for pharmacy even though I want to do medicine?

Watch
Smile135
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I am applying to medicine this year with my predicted grades of AAB, a medical personal statement and a UCAT grade of 2320 with SJT band 2. I know it is risky but I'm willing to take a gap year, work hard in the interview and work really hard for good A level grades. I applied to UEA for pharmacy as a backup option with a medical personal statement as you can only have 1 personal statement on UCAS. They gave me an email and said if I could send a pharmacy personal statement.

So my question is how am I meant to write a pharmacy personal statement if I want to do medicine, like how can I say Pharmacy is something I would like to do when they obviously know I said in my medical personal statement that I want to do medicine and become a good doctor? Is there anyone who was in this same situation and how did you apply with a new personal statement to Pharmacy?

Please help me. Thank you.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Smile135)
...I know it is risky but I'm willing to take a gap year, work hard in the interview and work really hard for good A level grades. I applied to UEA for pharmacy as a backup option...
Just another repost:

No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. Never ever do a random degree (that's any degree other than medicine) with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Also, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for UCAS Extra or Clearing - some medicine courses go into these.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.

Problem solved.
Smile135
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Just another repost:

No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. Never ever do a random degree (that's any degree other than medicine) with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Also, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for UCAS Extra or Clearing - some medicine courses go into these.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.

Problem solved.
Sorry, but my question was how to write a pharmacy personal statement since pharmacy is my backup option and I did a medical personal statement but UEA said if I could write an additional pharmacy personal statement. I've just started year 13 in September so I haven't done my actual A levels and I'm not thinking of graduate entry because I know how much more difficult it is and the additional tests you have to do.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Sorry, but my question was how to write a pharmacy personal statement since pharmacy is my backup option and I did a medical personal statement but UEA said if I could write an additional pharmacy personal statement. I've just started year 13 in September so I haven't done my actual A levels and I'm not thinking of graduate entry because I know how much more difficult it is and the additional tests you have to do.
So would you rather go into pharmacy if you didn't get any offers, or take a year out and apply to medicine again?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I know that's your question, but my advice is that no one should have a backup option.

Pharmacy is a worthwhile career in itself, and is not a "backup" for medicine.

Are you going to give up on medicine if you get 4 rejections? Because our advice is always - take a gap year and reapply (as I stated above).
Smile135
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
So would you rather go into pharmacy if you didn't get any offers, or take a year out and apply to medicine again?
I've thought about this and will do pharmacy if I don't get the A levels. I'm not applying to medicine half-heartedly since I genuinely want to do it but I've decided I want to get the grades this year or go for something else if I don't. I've looked at Pharmacy so this isn't a random choice but Medicine is my first option since I really want to go for Medicine.
Smile135
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I know that's your question, but my advice is that no one should have a backup option.

Pharmacy is a worthwhile career in itself, and is not a "backup" for medicine.

Are you going to give up on medicine if you get 4 rejections? Because our advice is always - take a gap year and reapply (as I stated above).
Thank you for your advice. What I have done is, because of my grades, applied to Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy as a backup. If I get 4 rejections I will reapply or look at clearing. If I have to write my exams again I will also do that. I know people with pharmacy offers who had medical personal statements on UCAS. I believe that you should have a backup option as your fifth because I don't know how my A levels will go and don't want to get 5 rejections since medicine is extremely competitive, especially this year since there are many people with deferred entries.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you for your advice. What I have done is, because of my grades, applied to Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy as a backup. If I get 4 rejections I will reapply or look at clearing. If I have to write my exams again I will also do that. I know people with pharmacy offers who had medical personal statements on UCAS. I believe that you should have a backup option as your fifth because I don't know how my A levels will go and don't want to get 5 rejections since medicine is extremely competitive, especially this year since there are many people with deferred entries.
No, you still don't need a backup:

(1) If you have all medicine rejections, you wouldn't be eligible for Clearing if you have a random biomed / pharmacy offer and

(2) If you don't get the grades, just retake them and reapply after a gap year! Lots and lots of students do that.

I don't see what's the point of applying to a biomed / pharmacy course if you are not going to take it up, it's a waste of your (and the biomed / pharmacy admission tutors') time.

Don't do pharmacy if you want to do medicine; and don't do medicine if you want to do pharmacy!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 days ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
So my question is how am I meant to write a pharmacy personal statement if I want to do medicine, like how can I say Pharmacy is something I would like to do when they obviously know I said in my medical personal statement that I want to do medicine and become a good doctor?
The Unis all know that many of those who apply for Med may only get one offer, or none at all - so that you'll end up using that 5th choice one way or another. So, they don't care that you have also applied for Med, they would be quite happy to have you as a student.

Important things to remember about Pharmacy - like Med it not 'just science', ad also requires serious people skills, AND its an NHS job - ie. dont foget to mention NHS Values etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (61)
57.01%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (11)
10.28%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.54%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
4.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed