The Student Room Group

Am I taking a big risk?

I'm studying alevels at the moment, I'm a distance learner, I'm applying to do a BSc with the Open University next year and I found out I can start in February if I wanted to, I'm considering doing that and not sitting my final alevel exams (it's expensive as a private candidate and my family isn't very well off)

As long as I don't fail my degree is it okay to not sit my alevel exams? I'm confident I'm not going to fail, it's a subject im very passionate about.

My fear is that, if some drastic event happens and I for some reason cannot complete my degree, I'll be left with no qualifications which sounds quite scary but also unlikely, I'm not sure if I'm just worried about nothing.
Advice?
Are you planning on studying full time with the OU?
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Are you planning on studying full time with the OU?

Yes I am
Original post by b447m
Yes I am

And are you based in the UK?
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
And are you based in the UK?

yes
Original post by b447m
yes

Then just an FYI you wouldn’t be able to study full time starting in February and continue that on so it wouldn’t actually cut any time off the length of your degree were you to start in February.

As to whether you should stop doing your A levels and do the degree instead then yes, you don’t need them to gain entry to the OU degree you wish to do. However if you don’t have a disability which prevents you from attending a brick uni you won’t qualify for maintenance loans from student finance so you will presumably need to find a job to financially support yourself through the degree.
You may find that it would work out better gaining your a levels and going to a brick uni (I’m unsure if that’s an option which you don’t want to do)

I personally wouldn’t recommend not doing your a levels once you have gotten this far with them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by b447m
I'm studying alevels at the moment, I'm a distance learner, I'm applying to do a BSc with the Open University next year and I found out I can start in February if I wanted to, I'm considering doing that and not sitting my final alevel exams (it's expensive as a private candidate and my family isn't very well off)

As long as I don't fail my degree is it okay to not sit my alevel exams? I'm confident I'm not going to fail, it's a subject im very passionate about.

My fear is that, if some drastic event happens and I for some reason cannot complete my degree, I'll be left with no qualifications which sounds quite scary but also unlikely, I'm not sure if I'm just worried about nothing.
Advice?

Try your best and hopefully you will pass but no, even if you do fail or can't complete your degree or whatever nothing will actually happen. You just move on.

Quick Reply

Latest