chemistry a level

Watch this thread
hello83
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
why would adding dilute aqueous ammonia to sea water which contains silver nitrate why would the precipitate dissolve?
Ylife
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by hello83)
why would adding dilute aqueous ammonia to sea water which contains silver nitrate why would the precipitate dissolve?
Sea water has salt (NaCl). Try to think about the reaction with chloride ions and silver nitrate, and whether the precipitate will dissolve
hello83
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Ylife)
Sea water has salt (NaCl). Try to think about the reaction with chloride ions and silver nitrate, and whether the precipitate will dissolve
the reaction of chloride ions and silver nitrate will form a white precipitate, but i dont understand why adding ammonia will make the precipitate dissolve
Ylife
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
the reaction of chloride ions and silver nitrate will form a white precipitate, but i dont understand why adding ammonia will make the precipitate dissolve
dilute ammonia dissolves silver chloride
on the aqa spec its part of required practical 4
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Two ammonia molecules capture the silver ion and make the soluble complex [Ag(NH3)2]+, diammine silver(I), in which the ammonia molecules are acting as ligands and each donating a lone pair to the silver(I) ion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed