Finding it hard to make friends out of nowhere.

Watch
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I would consider myself pretty social and never had a hard time making friends being introverted, also travelling and living in different countries made that easier.

But recently moving to the UK less then 2 weeks and starting my course not too long ago.
I find it odd the mentality here.
Maybe its my course in particular that attracts shy geeks.
But ever since the start I don't have a single genuine friend since I have arrived. Don't get me wrong, I do have friends that I talk to from my previous jobs/ countries I lived in. But none where I currently am.

Im the one that put effort towards my classmates, but apart from small talk, they do not put effort back outside of anwsering questions interview style. Its like they have no desire for friendships to the point im actually seeing most my class mates just not talking at all to each other, weird.

Im kinda upset and im not to sure what is happening.
If its me, or simply the country/mentality.

I view British people as a whole pretty friendly/open compared to other places, Matter of fact I had some pretty sweet interactions in the city while shopping/asking for help...

Yet when I look around different outside classes in my uni, I see groups of people that get along well with eachother.
It honestly feels like ive been put with outkasts or something.
Even the class are shy in responding to basic questions from the teacher it just feels off/awkward being the only student engaging.

Sure its only 2 weeks, but come on, every other place I lived in, this behaviour wasn't shown past 2-4 days.

I just don't know whats wrong.
I understand men are in this loneliness pandemic as shown here worldwide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSo...ionalMaleClips

But even then, if im putting effort yet guys/girls don't on their part, I can't force them either.
So I end up lonely in class like the rest.
Of course studies take prio and even if I had zero friends it will never be my excuse to drop out, but I would also be lying to you if it didn't make going to courses a drag with classmates just being recluses with each other. Its just some awkward vibe that I never experienced before.

Again I have never witnessed/experienced this type of class dynamic ever where no one genuilely talks to each other :/.

Any advice??
Last edited by CorporalJin; 6 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Not everyone wants to be your friend. You need to meet like minded people. So join a uni society, join Tinder for friends making, a church, mosque or temple, a nightclub. Or maybe be friends with people at your job.
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not everyone wants to be your friend. You need to meet like minded people. So join a uni society, join Tinder for friends making, a church, mosque or temple, a nightclub. Or maybe be friends with people at your job.
I thought tinder was for dating and not friendships .
Im not religious.

Im getting a job soon so hopefully I can at least meet customers and what not in between.

Also got a gym membership just recently, so might go their more often. I met a duo that were pretty cool in giving me advice, so hopefully Ill see them again with any luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (190)
55.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (47)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (38)
11.18%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.12%
I haven't started researching yet (19)
5.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.41%

Watched Threads