History at Oxford 2022

Watch
username4729656
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi!

I’ve applied for History and English at Oxford and wondered if there were any fellow history applicants out there!

Here’s some fun questions if you want to answer:
1. Which Oxford college are you applying to?
2. What are your A-Level predictions (or achieved grades)?
3. Do you have a favourite historical time period?
4. Why are you choosing to study history?
5. How do you feel about the upcoming HAT?
hannahjaayy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
History and English, how fun! I'm doing just straight History :-)

Christ Church

A*, A*, A
Hm, either India under the British Empire, China under Mao, or the last Romanov rulers in Russia (disregarding the Revolution).
At least, that's what I know most about.
To be honest, I like the debate aspect mostly.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Actually, I'm lucky to have a great History department at my school who've helped me out with preparation. Since March this year my 'tutors' have been assigning me previous HAT tests to finish and then we go over them. So, at least I'm not unfamiliar with the test any more. I'm mostly just worried about having a bad day, or being given a source I don't understand properly.
username4729656
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by hannahjaayy)
History and English, how fun! I'm doing just straight History :-)

Christ Church

A*, A*, A
Hm, either India under the British Empire, China under Mao, or the last Romanov rulers in Russia (disregarding the Revolution).
At least, that's what I know most about.
To be honest, I like the debate aspect mostly.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Actually, I'm lucky to have a great History department at my school who've helped me out with preparation. Since March this year my 'tutors' have been assigning me previous HAT tests to finish and then we go over them. So, at least I'm not unfamiliar with the test any more. I'm mostly just worried about having a bad day, or being given a source I don't understand properly.
Yeah! I originally wanted to do straight history but fell in love with the joint!

I just realised I didn’t even answer my own fun questions 😂

1. Balliol
2. A*A*A*
3. Plantagenets and the Tudors
4. I’m so obsessed with the Plantagenets and Tudors I need to do more! I want to go into history as a career field too
5. The HAT scares me I only started revision in September. The 2020 paper was so hard as well!

I really hope that we get given a good source that’s relatively easy to understand, although that may be a far-fetched wish!
hannahjaayy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I think this thread might be dead, but I'll still ask anyway. The HAT is tomorrow, how have you prepared? Do you have a specific strategy? I have done all the past papers (asides from one that I only annotated), but still each time I attempt a paper I go in with a completely different approach. I'm really, really nervous about tomorrow, as I don't know how I'm going to attempt it, and I'm definitely even more concerned about the time frame! I always take a good deal of writing to get to my point, which is good for my school exams because they are all closer to 2hrs. I think that might be a big problem for the HAT though, seeing as it's so short and I can take a while to digest and read information as well. Ahhh! Does anybody have a structure they use that helps? Or shall I really just go in no plan, guns blazing. I feel like that could also work, haha.
caeciliusinhortz
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I think this thread might be dead, but I'll still ask anyway. The HAT is tomorrow, how have you prepared? Do you have a specific strategy? I have done all the past papers (asides from one that I only annotated), but still each time I attempt a paper I go in with a completely different approach. I'm really, really nervous about tomorrow, as I don't know how I'm going to attempt it, and I'm definitely even more concerned about the time frame! I always take a good deal of writing to get to my point, which is good for my school exams because they are all closer to 2hrs. I think that might be a big problem for the HAT though, seeing as it's so short and I can take a while to digest and read information as well. Ahhh! Does anybody have a structure they use that helps? Or shall I really just go in no plan, guns blazing. I feel like that could also work, haha.
I completely agree - I think the difficulty is that each paper is very different so needs a different approach. I normally do a very basic structure of (if its a wide question then intro and three sub themes and conclusion weaving prov in or if it asks about like expectations and realities or Ratramanus's understanding and the means so like two- part then I do the same but with only two paragraphs). They say that there is no set structure though and I think I might have to decide based on the source. I really hope its good!
caeciliusinhortz
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by caeciliusinhortz)
I completely agree - I think the difficulty is that each paper is very different so needs a different approach. I normally do a very basic structure of (if its a wide question then intro and three sub themes and conclusion weaving prov in or if it asks about like expectations and realities or Ratramanus's understanding and the means so like two- part then I do the same but with only two paragraphs). They say that there is no set structure though and I think I might have to decide based on the source. I really hope its good!
also there's another thread for history and joint courses apps
username4729656
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
What happened was I made this thread as I didn't know there was another one in use! It's called 'Oxford history (and joint courses) applicants 2022' if you want to find it.
hannahjaayy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by caeciliusinhortz)
I think I'll try to do something similar. The plan I have right now is to try and find enough themes to talk about, but equally try to find as many limitations on the source as I can as well. I never usually get to the conclusion in the paper as I run out of time, so I guess I'll really have to wait and see how it goes. Thanks for your reply, and yeah I really hope it's good too! Some of those practice papers were insane.
hannahjaayy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by louisecarter01)
What happened was I made this thread as I didn't know there was another one in use! It's called 'Oxford history (and joint courses) applicants 2022' if you want to find it.
AH that makes sense. Thanks so much! I really don't use this site except for times of great stress (like now), so apologies for this! : )
username4729656
Rep:
AH that makes sense. Thanks so much! I really don't use this site except for times of great stress (like now), so apologies for this! : )
Don't worry! I have had an account for ages but I only started using it this year after uni applications haha
Gizem1212
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi!

I’ve applied for History and English at Oxford and wondered if there were any fellow history applicants out there!

Here’s some fun questions if you want to answer:
Hey! fellow english and history applicant here too!!
1. allocated St.Peter’s
2. predicted 40 IB points
3. the twentieth century - particulary rise of communism
4. i love learning about how everything is interlinked and has led to where we are now
5. HAT completed - i have no idea how it went
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by Gizem1212)
Hey! fellow english and history applicant here too!!
1. allocated St.Peter’s
2. predicted 40 IB points
3. the twentieth century - particulary rise of communism
4. i love learning about how everything is interlinked and has led to where we are now
5. HAT completed - i have no idea how it went
Oooo you should join the english group too!! It’s called english at Oxford 2022

There’s also another more active history one called Oxford history (and joint courses) applicants 2022
Grofu
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I’m applying to Christ Church for straight history!! I’m predicted A*,A*,A and my favourite period is either the fall of Constantinople or early 1900 Italy!! I’m choosing to study it mainly because I love reading about it!!

I found the HAT quite confusing and the source really threw me off
hannahjaayy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Grofu)
Hi,
I’m applying to Christ Church for straight history!! I’m predicted A*,A*,A and my favourite period is either the fall of Constantinople or early 1900 Italy!! I’m choosing to study it mainly because I love reading about it!!

I found the HAT quite confusing and the source really threw me off
Nice - I'm also applying to Christ Church for straight History : ) We also have the same predicted grades hehe. Best of luck with your application, hope you get the interview!
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
hi has anyone heard about interviews yet?
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by 1323334)
hi has anyone heard about interviews yet?
Nope! Balliol college said they aren’t publishing it for history until 30th nov (this is the college I applied for). I think history tends to be a bit later in November
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Nope! Balliol college said they aren’t publishing it for history until 30th nov (this is the college I applied for). I think history tends to be a bit later in November
Ah, thank you. I've been stressing out all week because I haven't heard anything. I've applied for lincoln but have no idea when they're going to send out results.
rebecca-lol
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1323334)
Ah, thank you. I've been stressing out all week because I haven't heard anything. I've applied for lincoln but have no idea when they're going to send out results.
ay fellow lincoln history person - we have to stick together as i haven't found another one lol
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rebecca-lol)
ay fellow lincoln history person - we have to stick together as i haven't found another one lol
Hey!! I've found one other person applying in the oxford 2022 thread but they haven't heard anything either. It's good to know I'm not the only one, its stressing me out lol. Good Luck!
artur03
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rebecca-lol)
I'm Lincoln History too! I've still not heard anything....the email I got from the college said December but I'm not sure I can wait that long!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.89%
October 2021 (194)
46.08%
November 2021 (43)
10.21%
December 2021 (56)
13.3%
January 2021 (46)
10.93%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.26%