username4729656
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

I’m applying for History and English at Oxford and wondered if there were any fellow English applicants out there!

If you want, you can answer some fun questions below!

1. Which college are you applying to?
2. What are your A-Level predicted/achieved grades?
3. What’s your favourite type of literature? E.g. novels/plays or maybe a particular period?
4. Why do you want to do an English degree?
5. How are you feeling about the ELAT? I only have to sit the HAT but I’m guessing an interview would test relevant skills from the ELAT so I might use it to practice if I get an interview!
revert2
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I'm applying for English at Oxford.

Magdalen.

A*A*A*A*A*

3. What’s your favourite type of literature? E.g. novels/plays or maybe a particular period?

This is such a hard question to answer! I definitely prefer prose and poems over plays, and I've been getting into Russian Literature recently.

Reading is my passion and the only subject I can see myself studying for 3 years! I used to be worried about job prospects and tried to force myself to do a STEM degree, but I'm now really happy with my choice.

5. How are you feeling about the ELAT? I only have to sit the HAT but I’m guessing an interview would test relevant skills from the ELAT so I might use it to practice if I get an interview!

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive. I've done a few past papers, but I feel that I'm reaching too much to make connections between the two texts.
Best of luck with the HAT!
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by louisecarter01)
Hi!

I’m applying for History and English at Oxford and wondered if there were any fellow English applicants out there!

Ahhhh just realised I didn’t answer my own questions!

1. Balliol
2. A*A*A*A*
3. Plays and novels! Renaissance literature is probably my favourite
4. I love reading and writing, and really want to explore the connections/links between literary and historical texts.
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by revert2)
Hey! I'm applying for English at Oxford.

Magdalen.

A*A*A*A*A*

This is such a hard question to answer! I definitely prefer prose and poems over plays, and I've been getting into Russian Literature recently.

Reading is my passion and the only subject I can see myself studying for 3 years! I used to be worried about job prospects and tried to force myself to do a STEM degree, but I'm now really happy with my choice.

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive. I've done a few past papers, but I feel that I'm reaching too much to make connections between the two texts.
Best of luck with the HAT!
Ooo I’m intrigued by your Russian literature interest! Thank you! Best of luck with the ELAT!
katierose2431603
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I am also applying for History and English
Pembroke
A*A*A
I definitely prefer prose and drama to poetry, I would say my favourite is historical fiction and dystopia

I'm pretty nervous for the HAT exam, I hope the source is easily decipherable and not about something too difficult, last year's was really hard!
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by katierose2431603)
Hi! I am also applying for History and English
Pembroke
A*A*A
I definitely prefer prose and drama to poetry, I would say my favourite is historical fiction and dystopia

I'm pretty nervous for the HAT exam, I hope the source is easily decipherable and not about something too difficult, last year's was really hard!
Ooo I love historical fiction too! I'm really into the Tudor period
-sarah-j-
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

Hi! I’m hoping to apply for English lit for 2022

1) Worcester
2) A*A*A (although having seen people with 5 A*s is making me slight concerned now ahh)
3) Hmm I think I prefer prose and poetry, then plays, but honestly it varies from text to text - I also quite like texts that explore other cultures
4) I really enjoy studying English, thinking about and discussing writers meanings and contexts and bigger ideas etc - but honestly I was confused for quite a long time about whether I should do Eng or not.
5) so nervous! I’ve done maybe 4 or 5 (?) past papers - but I don’t think it’s going extremely well. Ive given them to teachers to mark but my scores vary quite a bit - one time I missed a fairly key aspect, and sometimes a paper I think went well isn’t actually good - so yes a bit stressed, but hopefully it’ll be fine.

Oh I’m glad you don’t have to sit both the HAT and the ELAT that would be such a pain. How are you feeling for the HAT?
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by -sarah-j-)
Hi! I’m hoping to apply for English lit for 2022

1) Worcester
2) A*A*A (although having seen people with 5 A*s is making me slight concerned now ahh)
3) Hmm I think I prefer prose and poetry, then plays, but honestly it varies from text to text - I also quite like texts that explore other cultures
4) I really enjoy studying English, thinking about and discussing writers meanings and contexts and bigger ideas etc - but honestly I was confused for quite a long time about whether I should do Eng or not.
5) so nervous! I’ve done maybe 4 or 5 (?) past papers - but I don’t think it’s going extremely well. Ive given them to teachers to mark but my scores vary quite a bit - one time I missed a fairly key aspect, and sometimes a paper I think went well isn’t actually good - so yes a bit stressed, but hopefully it’ll be fine.

Oh I’m glad you don’t have to sit both the HAT and the ELAT that would be such a pain. How are you feeling for the HAT?
I wouldn’t worry about the grades - I’ve heard that as long as you meet the 3 A’s, they don’t care about them as much anymore. Your grades are amazing anyway! If it helps one of my A*s was my EPQ grade which I got in August so it’s not actually a full A-Level haha!

Yes, I’m so glad that I don’t have to sit both papers - I think they’re actually at the same time so that makes it kinda impossible! I’m feeling OK about the HAT - a bit worried, I’ve done around the same amount of practice papers as you, I’m just hoping that a good historical source comes up! Best of luck with the ELAT!
ealicee
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I applied for English at Oxford a few weeks ago!! So fun to see everyone else who’s applied too 1. Which college are you applying to?Christchurch 2. What are your A-Level predicted/achieved grades?A*A*A 3. What’s your favourite type of literature? E.g. novels/plays or maybe a particular period? I’m a HUGE fan of plays, specifically 17th-19th century but I also love any feminist literature from the 1980s. 4. Why do you want to do an English degree?Sounds obvious but I love reading and writing, i just love becoming immersed in that era of said literature and forming my own ideas about it, also hearing other ideas and debating !! its really just an amazing degree 5. How are you feeling about the ELAT? I only have to sit the HAT but I’m guessing an interview would test relevant skills from the ELAT so I might use it to practice if I get an interview! Feeling sort of okay abt the ELAT, more worried about timing as we only have 1hr30 ! What other A-Levels does everyone do and what other unis have you all applied to!
-sarah-j-
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn’t worry about the grades - I’ve heard that as long as you meet the 3 A’s, they don’t care about them as much anymore. Your grades are amazing anyway! If it helps one of my A*s was my EPQ grade which I got in August so it’s not actually a full A-Level haha!

Yes, I’m so glad that I don’t have to sit both papers - I think they’re actually at the same time so that makes it kinda impossible! I’m feeling OK about the HAT - a bit worried, I’ve done around the same amount of practice papers as you, I’m just hoping that a good historical source comes up! Best of luck with the ELAT!
Ahh that’s so sweet thank you!

Oh Yes I can definitely understand wanting a good source to come up - apparently one year the ELAT the topic was clothes and everyone struggled so much - I hope good questions come up - for both the ELAT and the HAT! Also idk if you struggle with this with the HAT but timing is so hard for me!
Basmala Saad
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,I'm applying for History and English too(Merton college)! I was wondering how your HAT preparation is going as I feel like I lack proper guidance on marking the papers. It would be really helpful if they had any exemplar answers to compare to so I don't feel as aimless. By the way, good idea for the English interview-didn't think of that lol.
username4729656
Rep:
Ahh that’s so sweet thank you!

Oh Yes I can definitely understand wanting a good source to come up - apparently one year the ELAT the topic was clothes and everyone struggled so much - I hope good questions come up - for both the ELAT and the HAT! Also idk if you struggle with this with the HAT but timing is so hard for me!
Yes the timing is so hard! We are meant to spend like 20 minutes reading and planning but I feel as if I want to spend so much more time doing it.
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by Basmala Saad)
Hi,I'm applying for History and English too(Merton college)! I was wondering how your HAT preparation is going as I feel like I lack proper guidance on marking the papers. It would be really helpful if they had any exemplar answers to compare to so I don't feel as aimless. By the way, good idea for the English interview-didn't think of that lol.
I know right! I have been looking for exemplar answers and have found nothing. I kinda feel like idk what I am doing but I will just have to try my best! Good luck - so nice to find another History/English applicant!
sanahk28
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hiii
I’m an international student and I applied for English Lit a few days back!

1) I gave an open application since I was really confused about the colleges and my school counsellor suggested the open application was best in my case
2) uh I am not exactly sure considering I don’t live in the UK so but I think my predicted as per A-level criteria would be A* A* A* A* A (97.2% in my country)
3) My favourite type of literature is novels and plays. I sort of suck at poems but that’s okay I’m still learning
4) I honest to god love english and reading and it’s sort of been set that I want to study english (atleast at the undergrad level) like there’s never been any question about it. I also really like discussing books and stuff but most people around me don’t think that much about books or don’t want to talk about then which sucks😭
5) I am **** scared about the ELAT, I just started preparing because at one point due to some application error, there was only a 1% chance my application would go through to Oxford. People around me haven’t exactly given the ELAT and aren’t exactly equipped for that kind of exam and it’s so nerve wrecking. There’s also the factor that my handwriting is pretty rubbish but I think it’s readable (I hope and pray) but I am hoping all’s going to be okay🤞🏻✨🕯
-sarah-j-
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sanahk28)
hiii
I’m an international student and I applied for English Lit a few days back!

1) I gave an open application since I was really confused about the colleges and my school counsellor suggested the open application was best in my case
2) uh I am not exactly sure considering I don’t live in the UK so but I think my predicted as per A-level criteria would be A* A* A* A* A (97.2% in my country)
3) My favourite type of literature is novels and plays. I sort of suck at poems but that’s okay I’m still learning
4) I honest to god love english and reading and it’s sort of been set that I want to study english (atleast at the undergrad level) like there’s never been any question about it. I also really like discussing books and stuff but most people around me don’t think that much about books or don’t want to talk about then which sucks😭
5) I am **** scared about the ELAT, I just started preparing because at one point due to some application error, there was only a 1% chance my application would go through to Oxford. People around me haven’t exactly given the ELAT and aren’t exactly equipped for that kind of exam and it’s so nerve wrecking. There’s also the factor that my handwriting is pretty rubbish but I think it’s readable (I hope and pray) but I am hoping all’s going to be okay🤞🏻✨🕯
Heyyy
ahaha i struggle so much with handwriting for ELAT too :bigsmile: - it goes a bit crazy especially towards the end but hopefully it'll be readable, and also same I'm so nervous for it ahhh
But your application seems amazing from what I can tell and you seem v passionate which is great - where are you applying from if you don't mind me asking?
roonilwazlib69
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hey guys,
what written work are you planning on sending in?
-sarah-j-
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ahh I was thinking about this yesterday but I’m not sure yet - maybe a class test…. Wbu?
roonilwazlib69
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ahh I was thinking about this yesterday but I’m not sure yet - maybe a class test…. Wbu?
yeah i was thinking about my mock essay that i wrote for my PPE but idrk what they expect
revert2
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm sending in an essay I did in class under timed conditions at the end of Year 12. There are lots of spelling mistakes in it because it was the first essay I'd written under timed conditions that year and my AS grade depended on it, but it's the best I've got, unfortunately.
username4729656
Rep:
(Original post by roonilwazlib69)
hey guys,
what written work are you planning on sending in?
I was gonna send in an essay I did under timed conditions but my friend at Oxford told me they prefer you to send in one you didn’t do timed as then they can see how your most developed essays would look. They’ll already see a timed essay in the ELAT!

So now I’m sending in cw I did right at start of y12 (maybe a risk bc it was ages ago but I got 14/15 I think or possibly full marks) and then an a level practice essay I did in July.

I don’t think they mind too much what you send in, just make sure to be clear on your written work form that you did it under certain conditions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads