The Student Room Group

Incorrect historical assumptions and myths

On youtube there are a lot of great videos that summarize history. I saw a couple on African history, and about north America before the arrival of Columbus.

In the video about sub-Saharan Africa there was a description of numerous empires and "nation states", before slavery and the arrival of Europeans. Some even sent deputes to the pope? They must have had systems of administration and government? Where are their theories?

In the video about North America there was the city of Cahokia, which may have been bigger than London was at the same time.

In addition, I would like to mention Göbekli Tepe, a temple complex of remarkable sophistication in Turkey, 6000 years older than the pyramids. It might indicate a culture that left few traces because of the climatic turmoil of the end of the Ice Age?

In short, there seem to be gaps in the history we were taught at school. Some of what we have been taught clearly seems to be manipulated for political reasons, while other things simply reflect the fact that what remains of history and archeology is only a fraction of what once existed.

Do you have any other examples of this sort of thing? I find it very interesting.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by michaelhw
On youtube there are a lot of great videos that summarize history. I saw a couple on African history, and about north America before the arrival of Columbus.

In the video about sub-Saharan Africa there was a description of numerous empires and "nation states", before slavery and the arrival of Europeans. Some even sent deputes to the pope? They must have had systems of administration and government? Where are their theories?

In the video about North America there was the city of Cahokia, which may have been bigger than London was at the same time.

In addition, I would like to mention Göbekli Tepe, a temple complex of remarkable sophistication in Turkey, 6000 years older than the pyramids. It might indicate a culture that left few traces because of the climatic turmoil of the end of the Ice Age?

In short, there seem to be gaps in the history we were taught at school. Some of what we have been taught clearly seems to be manipulated for political reasons, while other things simply reflect the fact that what remains of history and archeology is only a fraction of what once existed.

Do you have any other examples of this sort of thing? I find it very interesting.

It would help if you posted the relevant links. Some history videos are very good, others are utter garbage.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
It would help if you posted the relevant links. Some history videos are very good, others are utter garbage.

This one does not into go into detail. But it sort of lists a lot of things. If you want more detail, find videos on the individual kingdoms mentioned.
This one does not into go into detail. But it sort of lists a lot of things. If you want more detail, find videos on the individual kingdoms mentioned.

Seems solid enough though dull to watch.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Seems solid enough though dull to watch.

You are right. I like this one on the Songhai Empire. It is from that brilliant Fall of Civilizations Podcast on youtube. They call it podcast, but one of their playlists consists of a lot of documentaries
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
You think childrens history education is being manipulated for 'political reasons'? I have a better idea, its simply a **** curriculum. It teaches no one anything about British history let alone anyone else (and youtube is hardly a good source in of itself) either way, theres a reason kids arent taught advanced history such as some of the examples listed... theres a limited amount of time and a huge breadth of history to teach ergo only the pertinent cliff notes are passed on, as it were. Why would a school be teaching ancient history from turkey, for example, when they cant even teach people about the Cold War?

Reply 6
Original post by Napp
You think childrens history education is being manipulated for 'political reasons'? I have a better idea, its simply a **** curriculum. It teaches no one anything about British history let alone anyone else (and youtube is hardly a good source in of itself) either way, theres a reason kids arent taught advanced history such as some of the examples listed... theres a limited amount of time and a huge breadth of history to teach ergo only the pertinent cliff notes are passed on, as it were. Why would a school be teaching ancient history from turkey, for example, when they cant even teach people about the Cold War?

You are right. Time passes. There is no shortage of historians with a negative view of the British Empire. The Triangle Trade was the economic engine of early western expansion. The Scramble for Africa was more of a fashion thing, I think, directed by Bismark etc. Even so, in order to proceed certain views about what Africa was before were established. That is a fact. These views are wrong.

The Armenian Genocide is not taught in Turkey in the right way, however, because it implicates their wonderful Ottoman Empire. WWII is not taught in the right way in Japan either because it implicates the divine emperor. In fact, every time some nice Kofun is found in Japan, they halt excavations for the same insane reasons. The story of the Vietnam War is not taught in the right way in the US. They are concerned with their own troops and how they suffered, for the most part, very little with the millions of Vietnamese who died.
(edited 2 years ago)

Can I just check if the video is telling you slavery wasn’t a thing in Africa until the Europeans arrived? If it is I would find better videos because its missing an important and really rather interesting part of pre-colonial African history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending