Omar Abdelghany
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been looking for an answer for quite some time. I intend to do Undergrad Med, after attaining my degree because it’s much less competitive than GEM. I am stuck between two degree options. Pharmacy (MPharm) and Pharmacology (BSc). Which is a better qualification to apply to med, a Masters or a bachelors? Or does the qualification not matter at all rather it’s what subject links more towards Medicine? Please help.
Last edited by Omar Abdelghany; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Omar Abdelghany)
I have been looking for an answer for quite some time. I intend to do Undergrad Med, after attaining my degree because it’s much less competitive than GEM. I am stuck between two degree options. Pharmacy (MPharm) and Pharmacology (BSc). Which is a better qualification to apply to med, a Masters or a bachelors? Or does the qualification not matter at all rather it’s what subject links more towards Medicine? Please help.
No, it's not much less competitive than GEM and as a grad doing standard undergrad med you would have much much less financial support. Most med schools put the grads together and make them compete against each other - hence it's still harder than school applicants.

Why are you deliberately doing a degree for medicine (GEM or A100)? It will still take longer, cost a lot more and will still be more competitive either way.

Whatever your background is, take a gap year to improve your stats and aim to enter med school as a school leaver at standard undergrad medicine level.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
No, it's not much less competitive than GEM and as a grad doing standard undergrad med you would have much much less financial support. Most med schools put the grads together and make them compete against each other - hence it's still harder than school applicants.

Why are you deliberately doing a degree for medicine (GEM or A100)? It will still take longer, cost a lot more and will still be more competitive either way.

Whatever your background is, take a gap year to improve your stats and aim to enter med school as a school leaver at standard undergrad medicine level.
Well yes I intend to take a gap year if I end up getting AAA or A*AA, and apply to undergrad med, but if it dosent work out whether I get the grades ^ or not, I’d like to know which qualification is better when I apply to undergrad med. A masters in Pharamcy or a bachelors in pharmacology. Or does the qualification not really matter, rather it’s course within?
And don’t mention finance, pretend it’s been taken care of
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well yes I intend to take a gap year if I end up getting AAA or A*AA, and apply to undergrad med, but if it dosent work out whether I get the grades ^ or not, I’d like to know which qualification is better when I apply either to undergrad med or grad med. A masters in Pharamcy or a bachelors in pharmacology.
You should retake and try to get the grades if it doesn't work out. It would still be much easier, cheaper and take a lot less time.

Why are you trying to make it difficult for yourself? :confused:
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
You should retake and try to get the grades if it doesn't work out. It would still be much easier, cheaper and take a lot less time.

Why are you trying to make it difficult for yourself? :confused:
Yeah, I’m not gonna retake unless I get an AAB or an A*AB or A*A*B. But if I do end up getting the grades and I apply to Undergrad Med and it dosent work out, I’ll have to take up another degree, I have Pharmacy and Pharmacology in mind. I would like to know what qualification is better when apply to undergrad med. A Masters or Bachelors. And don’t mention financial issues, pretend it’s been taken care of.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I’m not gonna retake unless I get an AAB or an A*AB or A*A*B. But if I do end up getting the grades and I apply to Undergrad Med, I’ll have to take up another degree, I have Pharmacy and Pharmacology in mind. I would like to know what qualification is better when apply to undergrad med. A Masters or Bachelors. And don’t mention financial issues, pretend it’s been taken care of.
Why are you not going to retake? It just doesn't make any sense. Plenty of med schools accept retakes.

Even if you have all the money in the world, what about time? It's a wasted 2 years (or more if you don't get in first time).

Plus, as I said, grads applying to GEM or standard undergrad med face tougher competition. It's literally paying more, and wasting time just to make it difficult for yourself.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
Why are you not going to retake? It just doesn't make any sense. Plenty of med schools accept retakes.

Even if you have all the money in the world, what about time? It's a wasted 2 years (or more if you don't get in first time).

Plus, as I said, grads applying to GEM or standard undergrad med face tougher competition. It's literally paying more, and wasting time just to make it difficult for yourself.
I just said I will retake😅 if I end get AAB or A*A*B or A*AB. If I do end up getting the grades like AAA or A*AA, I will apply to undergrad Med, during the gap year. as an A LEVEL STUDENT. But if it dosent work out I will have to another degree. I have Pharamcy and pharmacology in mind. My question is what’s a better qualification if I end up applying to Grad med or undergrad
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I just said I will retake😅 if I end get AAB or A*A*B or A*AB. If I do end up getting the grades like AAA or A*AA, I will apply to undergrad Med, as an A LEVEL STUDENT. But if it dosent work out I will have to another degree. I have Pharamcy and pharmacology in mind. My question is what’s a better qualification if I end up applying to Grad med or undergrad
Neither because you should retake AGAIN unless you end up getting BCD or something. If you missed out it makes no sense to go for a degree even if you missed by 2, 3 grades. Getting a 2:1 or 1st class isn't easy either.

My advice is: once you have taken up a degree, assume that you'll never get into medicine and will be stuck with that degree. So with that mindset, would you like to be a holder of a pharmacy degree, or pharmacology? I hope that answers your question.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
Neither because you should retake AGAIN unless you end up getting BCD or something. If you missed out it makes no sense to go for a degree even if you missed by 2, 3 grades. Getting a 2:1 or 1st class isn't easy either.

My advice is: once you have taken up a degree, assume that you'll never get into medicine and will be stuck with that degree. So with that mindset, would you like to be a holder of a pharmacy degree, or pharmacology? I hope that answers your question.
You keep saying I have to retake, retake what exactly if I got the grades such as AAA or A*AA. If I do get those grades I’ll take a gap year and apply to med as an undergrad. But if I don’t end up getting accepted, I’ll have to take up another degree.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You keep saying I have to retake, retake what exactly if I got the grades such as AAA or A*AA. If I do get those grades I’ll take a gap year and apply to med as an undergrad. But if I don’t end up getting accepted, I’ll have to take up another degree.
Erm no, if you don't end up accepted you take a gap year (or two) until you are accepted.

Just to make it absolutely clear: if you missed the grades take a gap year to retake. If you don't have any offers but meet the grades, take a gap year. NEVER EVER do a degree with the sole aim for medicine.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
Erm no, if you don't end up accepted you take a gap year (or two) until you are accepted.

Just to make it absolutely clear: if you missed the grades take a gap year to retake. If you don't have any offers but meet the grades, take a gap year. NEVER EVER do a degree with the sole aim for medicine.
Ahh I think I’m getting you know, if I end up not getting accepted during the gap year, you wnat me to take another gap year until I get accepted. Right?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ahh I think I’m getting you know, if I end up not getting accepted during the gap year, you wnat me to take another gap year until I get accepted. Right?
Yes!

Reason: grads are usually held to a higher standard, both pre-application (e.g. UCAT score) and during interviews*. So if you had problems as a school leaver, there will certainly not go away as a grad unless you think you can do some miracles during the degree.

*This applies to both GEM and grads applying to standard undergrad med.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
I’ve been stuck at this issue for quite some time. I want to do Medicine, but my predicted grades say otherwise. So I’ve been debating whether I should be applying to Pharmacy, biomedical sciences, or Pharmacology. If I end up getting the grades required for medicine AAA or A*AA I will be taking the gap year and applying to med. But if I don’t get the grades I don’t whether I’ll retake and take the gap or start studying one of the degrees I listed above. My question is if I do take a gap year and got the grades required for medicine but happen to not be accepted, which degree is a better qualification to apply to med as a grad or undergrand. MPharm, Master of Pharamcy or BSc, bachelors? Thanks
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’ve been stuck at this issue for quite some time. I want to do Medicine, but my predicted grades say otherwise. So I’ve been debating whether I should be applying to Pharmacy, biomedical sciences, or Pharmacology. If I end up getting the grades required for medicine AAA or A*AA I will be taking the gap year and applying to med. But if I don’t get the grades I don’t whether I’ll retake and take the gap or start studying one of the degrees I listed above. My question is if I do take a gap year and got the grades required for medicine but happen to not be accepted, which degree is a better qualification to apply to med as a grad or undergrand. MPharm, Master of Pharamcy or BSc, bachelors? Thanks
Have you actually read what I said above?

Don't do a degree for Medicine. Take a gap year if you have the grades but no offer, and take a gap year to retake if you don't have the grades.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
Have you actually read what I said above?

Don't do a degree for Medicine. Take a gap year if you have the grades but no offer, and take a gap year to retake if you don't have the grades.
Yeah I was trying to open a new discussion because I don’t think this was in the medicine thread
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I was trying to open a new discussion because I don’t think this was in the medicine thread
But it's the exact same question.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
But it's the exact same question.
I’d like to get a different opinion…
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’d like to get a different opinion…
There's no need to create another new thread for that.
Omar Abdelghany
Rep:
There's no need to create another new thread for that.
Oh ok, because it seems your the only 1 who’s answering 😅
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oh ok, because it seems your the only 1 who’s answering 😅
That's because I'm right...?

No one will tell you to do a degree for medicine, graduate entry or not. That's illogical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
9.84%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (2)
1.64%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.56%
Finding the motivation (33)
27.05%
Getting distracted (16)
13.11%
Procrastination (50)
40.98%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.82%

Watched Threads