The Student Room Group

Applying to universities

I have predictions of A*A*A and i want to biochemistry, should i apply for biochemistry at imperial even though its competitive or should i be safe and apply to a university like Brunel?
Reply 1
Hi there,

I would say if your predictions are that high you would be quite likely to get into Imperial, although having said that its always nice to have a back up.

What about UCL as an in between option? I'd also recommend having a look round both universities if you can and looking into what the difference in the courses offered are.

Hope that helps!
Original post by DRDANDY
Hi there,

I would say if your predictions are that high you would be quite likely to get into Imperial, although having said that its always nice to have a back up.

What about UCL as an in between option? I'd also recommend having a look round both universities if you can and looking into what the difference in the courses offered are.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! other universities i'm applying to are Kings college London, Royal Holloway, University of Surrey and Queen Mary university London but my only worry is my personal statement and I'm not really getting the support I want to help strengthen my personal statement by thats my only concern and also wasting places to apply to universities that there is a high chance of me getting rejected.
Reply 3
Original post by maidajajja
Thank you! other universities i'm applying to are Kings college London, Royal Holloway, University of Surrey and Queen Mary university London but my only worry is my personal statement and I'm not really getting the support I want to help strengthen my personal statement by thats my only concern and also wasting places to apply to universities that there is a high chance of me getting rejected.

No problem, thats a nice set of universities to apply for

I don't think there's any harm with aiming high if Imperial is where you really want to go. Those predicted grades are definatley high enough so now its just about actually achieving them!

In terms of the personal statement, my general advice is to tell them why you like the subject (rather than the common mistake of trying to explain your favourite concepts to them) and also talk about extra curricular things you may have done - trips, helping younger students, books you've read outside the subject, sports, that kind of thing

This link has lots of good examples and breaks down the structure really nicely https://bridge-u.com/blog/how-to-write-a-personal-statement/
Original post by DRDANDY
No problem, thats a nice set of universities to apply for

I don't think there's any harm with aiming high if Imperial is where you really want to go. Those predicted grades are definatley high enough so now its just about actually achieving them!

In terms of the personal statement, my general advice is to tell them why you like the subject (rather than the common mistake of trying to explain your favourite concepts to them) and also talk about extra curricular things you may have done - trips, helping younger students, books you've read outside the subject, sports, that kind of thing

This link has lots of good examples and breaks down the structure really nicely https://bridge-u.com/blog/how-to-write-a-personal-statement/

Thank you so much! I tend to just ramble but the worksheet look useful. Thanks once again.
Original post by maidajajja

Hi there!
It's great to hear you are applying to Surrey. If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out:smile:

Joao
Economics
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!
It's great to hear you are applying to Surrey. If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out:smile:

Joao
Economics

Thank you so much! I've seen university of surrey and it's an amazing university. I just had a question. Does Surrey consider grades or the personal statement more or are they equally considered? Also are there any specifics things that Surrey would like to see in a personal statement?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending