polskadaddle
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I was thinking of applying to LSE, but the math requirements on their "entry requirements" was a bit confusing. I was thinking of Politics and Economics, where the entry requirements (for IB) are 38 with HL 766, and it states "with a 6 in maths". Until now I assumed it meant higher level maths, but for example looking at another course like PPE the requirements are 38 with HL 766, and it states "including 7 in higher level maths".

Because they specified where HL maths is needed, do you think SL maths would be alright with Politics and Economics? Kind of confused though, not sure if its an error because it seems strange to not require HL math in Politics and Econ whereas its required in PPE. Would appreciate any insight
thomas234542
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
No... you would need HL maths for any economics-related course at LSE + with IB you have a benefit compared to A-level students already. A level they require Further Maths in conjunction with normal Maths, whereas at IB you could do any HL maths and be eligible.

The entry requirement says 766 at higher level including Mathematics, so it is quite clear you would need HL maths. SL maths will not be sufficient for any economics-related course at LSE. The difference between PPE and, Econ and Politics is that you need a 7 at HL maths for PPE, whereas a 6 HL mathematics would suffice for econ and politics.

If you wanted to you could just apply to LSE for econ and politics, as it is just 1/5 choices, however, they will have a strong reason to reject you as you have not done HL maths.

All the best!
polskadaddle
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by thomas234542)
No... you would need HL maths for any economics-related course at LSE + with IB you have a benefit compared to A-level students already. A level they require Further Maths in conjunction with normal Maths, whereas at IB you could do any HL maths and be eligible.

The entry requirement says 766 at higher level including Mathematics, so it is quite clear you would need HL maths. SL maths will not be sufficient for any economics-related course at LSE. The difference between PPE and, Econ and Politics is that you need a 7 at HL maths for PPE, whereas a 6 HL mathematics would suffice for econ and politics.

If you wanted to you could just apply to LSE for econ and politics, as it is just 1/5 choices, however, they will have a strong reason to reject you as you have not done HL maths.

All the best!
I see, thanks so much!! (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.97%
Okay (67)
28.63%
A bit lacking (88)
37.61%
Not good at all (58)
24.79%

Watched Threads