obo obae
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I would like to know how a physics BSc may be able to become a chartered engineer, in a big engineering field such as electrical. Also would a one year masters really make me a competitive graduate applicant for these jobs? If not what path would you recommend which would make me competitive for these jobs on par with a MEng or BEng?
bamtutor
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by obo obae)
Hello, I would like to know how a physics BSc may be able to become a chartered engineer, in a big engineering field such as electrical. Also would a one year masters really make me a competitive graduate applicant for these jobs? If not what path would you recommend which would make me competitive for these jobs on par with a MEng or BEng?
You can check if your Physics degree is accredited for CEng registration
at: https://www.engc.org.uk/education-sk...+physics&s=all
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
To your first question, yes it's possible. Chartered status is primarily about your skills and competencies. The accredited degree helps smooth the process but if you are working at the requisite level you can still become chartered (though the catch is that lots of jobs probably won't satisfy that requirement).

To your second question, it's going to be harder without an engineering degree, but not impossible. Electrical/electronics is probably the area of traditional engineering that is most open to candidates from a physics background. The best way to become as competitive as the BEng/MEng candidates is to have a BEng or MEng degree - actually, relevant work experience would probably be even better, but that may also be difficult to get without a BEng/MEng.
obo obae
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bamtutor)
You can check if your Physics degree is accredited for CEng registration
at: https://www.engc.org.uk/education-sk...+physics&s=all
Unfortunately my Bachelors is not accredited for this.
(Original post by Smack)
To your first question, yes it's possible. Chartered status is primarily about your skills and competencies. The accredited degree helps smooth the process but if you are working at the requisite level you can still become chartered (though the catch is that lots of jobs probably won't satisfy that requirement).

To your second question, it's going to be harder without an engineering degree, but not impossible. Electrical/electronics is probably the area of traditional engineering that is most open to candidates from a physics background. The best way to become as competitive as the BEng/MEng candidates is to have a BEng or MEng degree - actually, relevant work experience would probably be even better, but that may also be difficult to get without a BEng/MEng.
So the only way you are telling me is to do another degree which is BEng? Is there anyway a BSc physics can qualify for thoose MEng and BEng degrees without starting university over again?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So the only way you are telling me is to do another degree which is BEng? Is there anyway a BSc physics can qualify for thoose MEng and BEng degrees without starting university over again?
That's not what I said. I said it can be done, but it's going to be more difficult to do so without an engineering degree. If you have a physics BSc you could do an engineering MSc. This may also help to some degree, though the lack of work experience may still be an issue in some instances.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is not necessary to have degree(s) that are accredited to satisfy the educational base for chartered engineer. All professional engineering institutions have ways you can show that you have gained the required knowledge and understanding in other ways. These applicants may have engineering degrees in other disciplines, or be from other countries or they may be physicists, chemists or even biologists or mathematicians but they will have been working in a field for sometime and so gained the requisite knowledge. I've read somewhere (can't find a link) that 70% of IET's members go through this alternative route so it's not at all unusual. However, getting a job in the relevant field without the usual degree may be hard - it's worth considering an MSc that helps to bridge the gap from your Physics BSc to working as an engineer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
13.21%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.89%
Finding the time to revise (6)
11.32%
Finding the motivation (10)
18.87%
Getting distracted (8)
15.09%
Procrastination (21)
39.62%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads