The Student Room Group

Sir David Amess murdered

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by imlikeahermit
3000 people that cannot be locked up soon enough, and add Abu Hamza to that list.

Until a government anywhere around the world, not just in this country has the balls to lock up terror threats no questions asked random attacks like this will continue to happen. Of course the left are quick to point out that that would be against yooman rights; seemingly the rights of potential killers and terrorists come above the innocent public.

The problem with that is do you really trust the government to use such unlimited powers responsibly? IO certainly wouldnt. It stinks of autocracy and dictatorships not least given half these people have likely done absolutely nothing to merit the addition to the watch list, it having a very low bar.
Equally theres the problem of governments arbitrarily deeming organizations/views/people as 'extremist' or terrorist related. If we look through the history of whom we consider terror groups it is not exactly a ringing endorsement for government accountability, it being subject to outside influence, happily ignoring real terrorists' because theyre 'our terrorists' and being used to further political goals, like sticking the finger to Iran by delisting the terror group MEK. Equally, we've been infamous for fostering islamic terror groups with government approval for decades so long as they blow up things abroad and not here. The Libyan example being a case in point, we supported them before he turned against Britain.
3000 people that cannot be locked up soon enough, and add Abu Hamza to that list.

Until a government anywhere around the world, not just in this country has the balls to lock up terror threats no questions asked random attacks like this will continue to happen. Of course the left are quick to point out that that would be against yooman rights; seemingly the rights of potential killers and terrorists come above the innocent public.

Yet, if reports in the media are accurate, the individual responsible was not one of these 3,000 individuals.

So not only is your proposal inherently authoritarian, it would not have prevented this murder.
Original post by Roberts 64
Yet, if reports in the media are accurate, the individual responsible was not one of these 3,000 individuals.

So not only is your proposal inherently authoritarian, it would not have prevented this murder.

And again, by all reports, that individual should have been part of that list. Bizarre that you think think equals some sort of moral victory on your part. :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
The problem with that is do you really trust the government to use such unlimited powers responsibly? IO certainly wouldnt. It stinks of autocracy and dictatorships not least given half these people have likely done absolutely nothing to merit the addition to the watch list, it having a very low bar.
Equally theres the problem of governments arbitrarily deeming organizations/views/people as 'extremist' or terrorist related. If we look through the history of whom we consider terror groups it is not exactly a ringing endorsement for government accountability, it being subject to outside influence, happily ignoring real terrorists' because theyre 'our terrorists' and being used to further political goals, like sticking the finger to Iran by delisting the terror group MEK. Equally, we've been infamous for fostering islamic terror groups with government approval for decades so long as they blow up things abroad and not here. The Libyan example being a case in point, we supported them before he turned against Britain.

In short, I have no issue with it. When it comes to public safety, I’d put that above anything else. We’re talking about the lowest of the low, absolute scumbags, potential terrorists; not Joe public.
In short, I have no issue with it. When it comes to public safety, I’d put that above anything else. We’re talking about the lowest of the low, absolute scumbags, potential terrorists; not Joe public.

Anyone can be a potential terrorist.
Original post by Dupe Hunter
Anyone can be a potential terrorist.

They can. But it doesn’t just happen just like that. It isn’t an overnight decision. Take any example you want, whether that be the bloke in Plymouth, the London Bridge stabbings, this attack, heck, even put Wayne Couzens in that. Countless red flags missed time and time again, and attacks that could have been prevented.

You two make it sound as if we’d just go locking up innocent people. In the terrorist sense, these are islamic extremists, not investment bankers. Jesus wept.
They can. But it doesn’t just happen just like that. It isn’t an overnight decision. Take any example you want, whether that be the bloke in Plymouth, the London Bridge stabbings, this attack, heck, even put Wayne Couzens in that. Countless red flags missed time and time again, and attacks that could have been prevented.

You two make it sound as if we’d just go locking up innocent people. In the terrorist sense, these are islamic extremists, not investment bankers. Jesus wept.

If we look at countries that have these kinds of authoritarian laws, say China, Russia or Iran they lock up completely innocent people over fabricated charges.

If the red flags are missed then what makes you think changing the law is going to make the police any more competent?
There is a lot of linkage to the murder of Jo Cox, for me the precedents are rather more Irish Republican terrorism. All of the MP's murdered between Perceval and Cox were killed by Irish "terrorists" of some persuasion or other.

If feels like Jihadism has replaced the IRA as the great threat to parliamentarians. They have stopped, now we are at the beginning of this.

Does anyone seriously believe that this will be the last politician killed by Islamists? And it isn't just a British thing, you are likely to see it elsewhere in Europe. At least in countries with large Muslim populations.

So get used to it.
Reply 48
Original post by Napp
If we look through the history of whom we consider terror groups it is not exactly a ringing endorsement for government accountability, it being subject to outside influence, happily ignoring real terrorists' because theyre 'our terrorists' and being used to further political goals, like sticking the finger to Iran by delisting the terror group MEK. Equally, we've been infamous for fostering islamic terror groups with government approval for decades so long as they blow up things abroad and not here. The Libyan example being a case in point, we supported them before he turned against Britain.

I mean, if you're planning to round up terrorists, I can certainly see why we'd care less about ones that weren't planning acts of terror in the United Kingdom.

Not saying "crack on", but there's a more immediate issue for the British government if they're planning to attack British targets.
Original post by generallee
There is a lot of linkage to the murder of Jo Cox, for me the precedents are rather more Irish Republican terrorism.

I think this very much depends on the organisation behind the terrorism. The politicians murdered by terrorists dating back to Lord Frederick Cavendish, the MP for the West Riding of Yorkshire North in 1882, were all killed by organised Irish Republicans. That was similar to the pattern with targetted assassinations of politicians by leftists and rightists in Italy, Greece and Germany in the 1970s and 1980s.

What we had with the murder of Jo Cox was a self-radicalised lone wolf. There was no organisation behind her killer; merely a set of extremist political beliefs. Although it is too early to give a definitive answer, Amess' alleged killer looks to be from the same stock.

The differences are important because it is pointless spending time, effort and money infiltrating EDL meetings or taking down the contents of the sermons of radical clerics if the people who kill are sitting alone in bedrooms festering until the moment they decide to attack.

You can't infiltrate a lone wolf. All you can do is pick up on worrying behaviour and react to it.

Tomorrow's Times is leading on a review of the Prevent strategy. The report is garbled and may be unfair to the review. The implication is that Prevent is being run by a bunch of pinko softies and should be turned over to securicrats. I suspect that the Prevent programme is running at full capacity which means that hard choices have to be made about who is put through the programme and who isn't and there was nothing in the report that suggested that MI5 officers were better than social workers in prioritising. "Collar the lot" is only a viable plan if you have sufficient capacity for everyone. If you don't, it simply turns into "first come, first served".

How many attacks have been stopped behind the scenes the police stop most of them. Unfortunately some get through the net.
Original post by looloo2134
How many attacks have been stopped behind the scenes the police stop most of them. Unfortunately some get through the net.

Is that what you say to the families of those who’ve lost their lives because we’re too afraid to lock people up? They didn’t get through the net, the net doesn’t exist. If it did, certainly the London Bridge attack wouldn’t have happened because he would never have seen the light of day again.
Is that what you say to the families of those who’ve lost their lives because we’re too afraid to lock people up? They didn’t get through the net, the net doesn’t exist. If it did, certainly the London Bridge attack wouldn’t have happened because he would never have seen the light of day again.

So the St Paul's bomb plot didn't get stopped by undercover officers and hundreds of people were killed and injured?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Cathedral_bomb_plot

I agree with most of your points.

But there are so many disrupted viable terrorist plots involving uk & overseas based scumbags who are aiming to inflict mass murder or vast criminal damage to uk residents & businesses along with serious non-fatal violence- stopped thanks to the efforts of uk police/uk military intelligance/international assistance from the shin bet or nato allies intelligence services.
Reply 54

Thats rather the point, the law will be applied to average Joe.. when you create a drag net you cant be surprised when the public are caught in it.
I forget who made the famous quote but sooner 10 guilty people go free than 1 innocent be jailed in ones view.
After all, this is not, in ones view again, an issue of enough magnitude to justify turning the country into a dystopian police state. Something like WWII might have justified it but a few lunatics with knives isnt quite a strong enough reason for me.
Original post by londonmyst
I agree with most of your points.

But there are so many disrupted viable terrorist plots involving uk & overseas based scumbags who are aiming to inflict mass murder or vast criminal damage to uk residents & businesses along with serious non-fatal violence- stopped thanks to the efforts of uk police/uk military intelligance/international assistance from the shin bet or nato allies intelligence services.

There has been many attacks stopped, that’s absolutely correct. But in cases such as the London Bridge attacks and the Manchester arena bombings; that could have so easily been prevented had the right course of action taken place.
Original post by Dupe Hunter
So the St Paul's bomb plot didn't get stopped by undercover officers and hundreds of people were killed and injured?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Cathedral_bomb_plot

Breaking news: U.K. government stops one bomb plot.

Good for them. Except, the punishment given out should have been life meaning life, not a minimum sentence of 14 years. But everyone can be rehabilitated right!? Just ask Anjem Choudary.
Original post by Napp
Thats rather the point, the law will be applied to average Joe.. when you create a drag net you cant be surprised when the public are caught in it.
I forget who made the famous quote but sooner 10 guilty people go free than 1 innocent be jailed in ones view.
After all, this is not, in ones view again, an issue of enough magnitude to justify turning the country into a dystopian police state. Something like WWII might have justified it but a few lunatics with knives isnt quite a strong enough reason for me.

Why would it be applied to the average Joe? I personally couldn’t see myself being arrested on terror offences given that I’m not a domestic or global terrorist.
Reply 58
Why would it be applied to the average Joe? I personally couldn’t see myself being arrested on terror offences given that I’m not a domestic or global terrorist.

Look to Syria, China, hell even look at America the term 'terrorist' if frequently abused to go after people the government dislikes, whether or not theyre actually a terrorist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending