kierab22
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i was watching one of my biochem lectures and they started talking about single stranded DNA (ssDNA). the whole of a level i've only known it to be found as a double helix (ie dsDNA) and only exists as a single strand during DNA replication.
is this the only time it's found or do you get ssDNA outside of those processes?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi young man [Kieran?] - hope you are well!

ssDNA is rare in nature, and only occurs, as far as I know [even Sheldon is struggling here - v good Q!] only as the genetic material of certain viruses, notably those of the Family Parvoviridae [commonly referred to as parvoviruses].

randombiochemist: are you able to add more detail, please?

M
FelineImplant
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kierab22)
i was watching one of my biochem lectures and they started talking about single stranded DNA (ssDNA). the whole of a level i've only known it to be found as a double helix (ie dsDNA) and only exists as a single strand during DNA replication.
is this the only time it's found or do you get ssDNA outside of those processes?
It is not only during DNA replication as it also occurs during gene transcription when the RNA polymerase forms the open complex. It can occur randomly throughout the DNA as it forms melting bubbles (pockets of ssDNA) in response to torsional stress. The highest forces on DNA occur during anaphase. Here is a paper that you might find interesting about the different forms of DNA https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23431161/*
*this includes S DNA which is neither ssDNA nor standard B DNA
Last edited by FelineImplant; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads