Starting an Access to HE course now - realistic?

Watch
Harriago
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

I missed the boat a bit on the Access to HE courses starting last month but I’d still like to take a shot at uni to start in 2022. My question is, working full time, is it unreasonable to complete an Access to HE (humanities) course between now and May 31st?

Basically I’m looking for anyone who’s completed a similar course who might have insight into the workload. And a rough estimate of hours-per-week needed to pass comfortably. Obviously it’s different for every person, but having never taken an Access to HE course before I’m quite stumped!

I will be able to take around a month’s worth of annual leave between now and may31st, so the studying wouldn’t be entirely part-time. I could easily get 2-3 weeks of full-time study in there somewhere. Is it doable? Or am I best off waiting another year until I can study an access-course full time?

Thanks
Kstudy93
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harriago)
Hello everyone,

I missed the boat a bit on the Access to HE courses starting last month but I’d still like to take a shot at uni to start in 2022. My question is, working full time, is it unreasonable to complete an Access to HE (humanities) course between now and May 31st?

Basically I’m looking for anyone who’s completed a similar course who might have insight into the workload. And a rough estimate of hours-per-week needed to pass comfortably. Obviously it’s different for every person, but having never taken an Access to HE course before I’m quite stumped!

I will be able to take around a month’s worth of annual leave between now and may31st, so the studying wouldn’t be entirely part-time. I could easily get 2-3 weeks of full-time study in there somewhere. Is it doable? Or am I best off waiting another year until I can study an access-course full time?

Thanks
Hi there,

When I did a course, we had people come late, and stuck withus.

I would ask ahead and find out what units you've missed, this should give you an idea if you can do it.

E.G if you've missed experiments which will be hard to reschedule or a group assignment you missed out on.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

Thanks
I started one online around this time. I was able to complete in time to apply during the current cycle. Best of luck!
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Harriago
Hello

I’ve taught on an Access to HE program for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help, I’ll give you the basic facts of the program I teach on and this can inform your decision. (I teach on Nursing & Midwifery and the Social Sciences pathway).

Students study 3 modules, each of which consist of 5 assessments – students have roughly about 7 – 8 weeks to work on each one.
Currently my students are just finishing Unit 1’s for their modules so they are 3 assignment in out of 15.

Typically, our students would be in for 3 days a week between 9:00 and 2:45, and they typically spend about 15 hours a week working from home on their assignments too.

If the assessment methods on your course are all essay based that would give you a big advantage, however on my program there are a mix of creative tasks, practical’s, presentations and in class tests too which slows the process down.

If you are familiar with your modules then you should be able to crack on, however, if you are diving into a new subject like a lot of my students are it is quite a challenge for the first few months

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
owenpritch
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,Have you decided what to do? I'm currently in a similiar situation myself and I'm trying to figure out if I have enough time or not. Bit aprehensive as I haven't found much discussion on the computer science access course, but if I want to do it then I'd need to start ASAP so I'm in a tough position
Chach1
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me please or can help. I’m on a access course to health, I want to go in to children’s nursing. I am currently on assignment number 5 million and 1 already haha, but I’m struggling with what the assignment brief is asking of me. It is asking me for the structure of the respiratory system, along with other things and it is only 1800 words which is fine, and I’m assuming that this means all the tissues involved and what makes up the organs as this is what we have talked about in class. But when I have asked the other students if we have to name the tissues of each organ they have said they do not know and I feel 1800 words is not enough for that and everything else on the assignment brief. Our teacher is very strict and already told us she is not proof reading anything we have wrote so I don’t know who to ask and I don’t want to get this wrong. It is stressing my life out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads