.Student101.
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm completely stuck on how to do this question:
x^2+2y^2<3xy
I started it and i got (x-y)(x-2y)<3xy but I have a feeling I've started in a completely wrong way. I just don't understand where you can go with this question.
Please help me.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Try bringing everything onto the same side before factorising.
Athy_Obelia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When you expand the brackets of the expression you've got, you'll see it's different from the question
The A.G
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by .Student101.)
I'm completely stuck on how to do this question:
x^2+2y^2<3xy
I started it and i got (x-y)(x-2y)<3xy but I have a feeling I've started in a completely wrong way. I just don't understand where you can go with this question.
Please help me.
This question is a bit different to what you’ve probably done before.After factoring everything to one side you’re left with
(x-y)(x-2y)<0 to give you a better idea of how the graph looks like you would rearrange to get y=x and y= x/2 ,now sketch whilst showing the inequality for each, and then consider the cases of y that’ll lead to the answer.
.Student101.
Rep:
(Original post by The A.G)
This question is a bit different to what you’ve probably done before.After factoring everything to one side you’re left with
(x-y)(x-2y)<0 to give you a better idea of how the graph looks like you would rearrange to get y=x and y= x/2 ,now sketch whilst showing the inequality for each, and then consider the cases of y that’ll lead to the answer.
Thank you for your help but as you can see, the question has a <3xy which I'm not sure what to do with.

(Original post by Athy_Obelia)
When you expand the brackets of the expression you've got, you'll see it's different from the question
Oh thank you so much. I didn't realise. But in that case how would I expand it if at all.

(Original post by Pangol)
Try bringing everything onto the same side before factorising.
I tried that and I got x^2+2y^2-3xy<0 but the problem was I just had no idea where to go from there.

I just don't know what to do with question. I'm completely stuck
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What is the actual question and have expanded (and factorized) quadratic expressions like
(x+2y)(2x-3y)
before?

As a route in, you could divide through your inequality by y^2 and substitute z=x/y to get a more usual quadratic in z, which you should be happier with. Then substitute back at the end.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
.Student101.
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
What is the actual question and have expanded (and factorized) quadratic expressions like
(x+2y)(2x-3y)
before?

As a route in, you could divide through your inequality by y^2 and substitute z=x/y to get a more usual quadratic in z, which you should be happier with. Then substitute back at the end.
The question is just to solve the inequality x^2+2y^2<3xy. I haven't really done much expanding brackets with no numbers so I got a bit confused with that. I don't really understand how you could divide it by y^2 when the equation has 2y^2. And may I ask where the z came from. Sorry if I seem really stupid. I just have no clue with this question.
Last edited by .Student101.; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by .Student101.)
The question is just to solve the inequality x^2+2y^2<3xy. I haven't really done much expanding brackets with no numbers so I got a bit confused with that. I don't really understand how you could divide it by y^2 when the equation has 2y^2. And may I ask where the z came from. Sorry if I seem really stupid. I just have no clue with this question.
Can you expand the expression in the previous post? If you can't, there isn't a great deal to be gained from trying the question.

Could you solve
z^2 + 2 < 3z
Can you see the link with the actual question using the previous hints?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads