English Literature Personal Statement Advice

Watch
searose07
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm thinking of studying English Literature at university but in terms of personal statement and extra curricular activities, I'm not exactly sure what to put. If you're taking English Literature in a university, do you have any ideas on things I could do now so that I can later put it on my personal statement?
username4729656
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by searose07)
I'm thinking of studying English Literature at university but in terms of personal statement and extra curricular activities, I'm not exactly sure what to put. If you're taking English Literature in a university, do you have any ideas on things I could do now so that I can later put it on my personal statement?
Is this for 2022 entry? If so, I would try and do it quickly so you can really perfect your application.

Some ideas:
1. Extra reading is a BIG one (plays, novels, poetry - things you enjoy). You might also want to read some literary criticism.
2. Listening to podcasts/lectures related to literature?
3. Entering English essay comps (this would only be if you're a 2023 applicant)
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need to show that you ae studying beyond just the A level syllabus.

Explore some interests - American poetry, gothic novels, feminist literature, 1960s drama etc etc - or just set yourself a big-task like reading all Thomas Hardy's novels, etc etc. This will give you some interesting topics/ideas to write about.

And start looking at literacy criticism and theory - the methodology of studying literature : https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=introdu...rpid=550470963
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by searose07)
Hey searose07!

Your personal statement should mention why you're passionate for English literature, and this can be done through various ways:
1) Discussing which books you've read that you've enjoyed - Why have you enjoyed them? Are there particular themes among them that are shared with the courses you're interested in such as romantic poetry etc.
2) How have you interacted with English literature outside of the typical personal reading and classroom? Are you a member of your English or Drama society? Do you contribute at a local library? Do you create or listen to any English podcasts? Do you have a blog reviewing books you have read?
3) What are you ultimate goals, and how does English literature help you achieve this?

I hope this helps you! Best of luck.

Nathan
UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads