Daenni193
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm planning on converting to psychology next year after never having studied the subject. In order to (hopefully) make things easier for myself I'd like to read a good textbook(s) that introduces me to some essential topics in psychology. (like a handbook or encyclopedia)
rainbowpufflez
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Daenni193)
I'm planning on converting to psychology next year after never having studied the subject. In order to (hopefully) make things easier for myself I'd like to read a good textbook(s) that introduces me to some essential topics in psychology. (like a handbook or encyclopedia)
hey buddy, im doing the exact same, never studied psycholgy in my life and im looking to study MSCi or perhaps BSc Psychology at Durham, Royal Hollpway or Kings etc..ive always been very familiar with the study and understanding of Psychology as it is very commonly represented in the modern world. Thankfully, despite being a BSc (Bachelor or Science) it isnt too subject to calculations and equations or scientifically challenging studies as far as astrophysics, chemistry, medicine etc, my advice would be to familiarise yourself with concepts, terminology and different theories. A few reads would be a great booster, the way i see psychology, the more material you cover, the more of a grasp you get on the subject. Personally i would NOT recommend a foundation year unless you really struggle in catching onto academia. It is a smooth rolling course and as long as we both put in the work and study hours, we will smash this course! if i may ask, which university/ courses are you interested in applying? thanks, have a nice day.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You could have a look at online courses. UToronto's intro to psychology course was (in my opinion) fairly comprehensive and really well taught (also free!).

Alternatively, if you want a textbook you could always buy the A-level textbook, which would be your cheapest and most available option (and probably the most appropriate). Some universities will provide reading lists like this one which you can look through as well. Good luck
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
OpenLearn have a lot of free courses, including introductory psychology modules. Also check out Alison courses online, they have some free psychology courses too.
Daenni193
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by rainbowpufflez)
hey buddy, im doing the exact same, never studied psycholgy in my life and im looking to study MSCi or perhaps BSc Psychology at Durham, Royal Hollpway or Kings etc..ive always been very familiar with the study and understanding of Psychology as it is very commonly represented in the modern world. Thankfully, despite being a BSc (Bachelor or Science) it isnt too subject to calculations and equations or scientifically challenging studies as far as astrophysics, chemistry, medicine etc, my advice would be to familiarise yourself with concepts, terminology and different theories. A few reads would be a great booster, the way i see psychology, the more material you cover, the more of a grasp you get on the subject. Personally i would NOT recommend a foundation year unless you really struggle in catching onto academia. It is a smooth rolling course and as long as we both put in the work and study hours, we will smash this course! if i may ask, which university/ courses are you interested in applying? thanks, have a nice day.
I'm trying to get into the Nottingham conversion course! Thanks, I was definitely worried about the more maths side of things - I do sociology so I'm somewhat familiar with research methods and the like but I have a hard time remembering that info haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (66)
33.17%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.14%
No (52)
26.13%
I'm not sure (27)
13.57%

Watched Threads