What A Levels to take if taking English Lit at uni

Watch this thread
searose07
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What are the best A Levels to take if you're thinking of taking English Literature for university?
Ash1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by searose07)
What are the best A Levels to take if you're thinking of taking English Literature for university?
English Literature, English Language and to keep your University options if your good at science then try adding one science or then do Psychology.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
English Literature - and any other two subjects that you will enjoy.
johnnnh
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
do language as well because it's heavily correlated with literature and will give you a very fundamental understanding of English. then pick one or two others that seem interesting to YOU. but if you want some that are similar then ur best bet is, drama, history, philosophy, economics or politics. I would STRONGLY recommend you do English language but your third a level is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it and it fulfills your goals. I know a lot of people who do combinations like art, politics and physics or biology, history and computer science or chemistry, DT, English lit and maths. and to be frank, universities don't seem to mind at all.
Hannah020602
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
As long as you've got English lit you're good to go! Other humanities would probably be helpful, but you can really do anything - I took Maths, Physics, Further Maths, and English Lit and am now on an English Lit degree so you do whatever you want!!
_kvymnnn
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
English literature and then any 2 other a levels. I think some of the popular ones include history, politics, sociology etc
maddy1809
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I'm applying for English Lit at uni and I do: English Lit, history and politics
Amp242
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
English Literature… then 2 others you enjoy but also think you can get the highest possible grades in… as unis won’t really care what the other 2 subjects are… but the best unis will require top grades in all 3
Vortexswirls
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by johnnnh)
do language as well because it's heavily correlated with literature and will give you a very fundamental understanding of English. then pick one or two others that seem interesting to YOU. but if you want some that are similar then ur best bet is, drama, history, philosophy, economics or politics. I would STRONGLY recommend you do English language but your third a level is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it and it fulfills your goals. I know a lot of people who do combinations like art, politics and physics or biology, history and computer science or chemistry, DT, English lit and maths. and to be frank, universities don't seem to mind at all.
(Original post by Ash1234)
English Literature, English Language and to keep your University options if your good at science then try adding one science or then do Psychology.
This is so wrong. You shouldn't do English lIterature and English language if you want to get into a good university for English literature. They are too overlapping in content so they make each other easier; many universities say that they find applicants with biology and PE A-levels to be too overlapping, the exact same as they say if you take both economics and business studies.

The best other A-levels to take would be history, philosophy, or a foreign language (suggested on many universities' entry requirements sections). These show essay writing and critical thinking skills, without being too narrow.

Some universities say 'English Literature and Language', this does not mean 2 separate A-levels in each subject, there is an actual single A-level called English Literature and Language, which is a mix of both.
Last edited by Vortexswirls; 6 months ago
johnnnh
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
that could be the case, but I've talked to a lot of people who have done both, or one, or the other and they seem to not be negatively impacted by doing both at all. and whilst language is less respected. your comparisons don't make sense because those are subjects that HEAVILY overlap language and literature at a level are actually quite different. the two subjects compliment each other because they build different skillsets. I've even seen a thread before of someone replying, saying they had their college contact Cambridge and Oxford and they said the same thing. but yes, it does kind of give them less flexibility. but it doesn't seem like they would be interested in anything apart from the arts and the arts tend to be pretty flexible, especially if you've rigorously done subjects like English and history. it's not like they're going to wake up one morning with a new found appreciation and desire to become a golf management scholar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.91%
The paper was reasonable (67)
39.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.98%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.47%

Watched Threads