MurryaMatthews1
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I really would like to study Economics at a university like St Andrews, Edinburgh, York or Southampton. I realise that I am looking at a minimum of AAB to get in or be considered. As of now my predicted grades are A*AC with C being in maths. Although I have not done my best as to now In maths i really want to study Econ and I am super motivated to work on it. The prediction today for C in maths really came as shock as it really puts all my ambitions down the drain. Do you think I should try ask for a B or is it not a train smash. I understand that teachers use evidence but this really feels harsh considering i felt I have a year to up my grade and it seems as if they want me to achieve the B over night.
Thanks Murray
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Suggestion - don't apply this year. Work your socks off and without all the distractions of UCAS/Open Days/offers etc, you can get that Maths grade as high as you can. Then apply with achieved grades - no predictions, no guess-work, and you will know exactly where you can target your application. Without a high Maths grade, top Unis will be out of reach - and for Economics 'which Uni' does matter.
MurryaMatthews1
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Suggestion - don't apply this year. Work your socks off and without all the distractions of UCAS/Open Days/offers etc, you can get that Maths grade as high as you can. Then apply with achieved grades - no predictions, no guess-work, and you will know exactly where you can target your application. Without a high Maths grade, top Unis will be out of reach - and for Economics 'which Uni' does matter.
Thanks for the response
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MurryaMatthews1)
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I really would like to study Economics at a university like St Andrews, Edinburgh, York or Southampton. I realise that I am looking at a minimum of AAB to get in or be considered. As of now my predicted grades are A*AC with C being in maths. Although I have not done my best as to now In maths i really want to study Econ and I am super motivated to work on it. The prediction today for C in maths really came as shock as it really puts all my ambitions down the drain. Do you think I should try ask for a B or is it not a train smash. I understand that teachers use evidence but this really feels harsh considering i felt I have a year to up my grade and it seems as if they want me to achieve the B over night.
Thanks Murray
You can ask politedly and explain your ambitions, but if there is no evidence you will get a B, many teachers will be reluctant to predict a B.

It is often hard to pull up a maths grade if you haven't worked hard in Y12, though.

A C in maths will be a problem for some of those unis, so it may be worth making plans to reapply on a gap year if you can't up your predicted grade.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MurryaMatthews1)
Thanks Murray
A predicted C grade in Maths is going to be a problem for Economics as it is very maths based, more so at degree level than A level. With C being your worst grade, I would question whether Economics is even the right course for you - something like Business Management could be much lighter on the maths content and so the C prediction would not be such an issue for unis.

Regarding asking for a B, all you can do is discuss it with your maths teacher. No doubt they will have evidence they can talk to you about as to why they predicted you a C - that grade will be based on how you performed in year 12 mainly, in tests and in class (or online). What you could do is ask them if they would be willing to change the prediction if you do well enough in any upcoming tests between now and December. They will need to see evidence that you are likely to get a B at the end of the course, because otherwise you would just get rejections on A level results day anyway, even if you could get offers now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads