The Student Room Group

Living in halls at uni

So I’m currently looking at university’s and many of are far away so I would need to move out. I am feel nervous about the idea of moving into halls and wondered if anyone could tell me what it’s like? I’m particularly worried about noise as I have Aspergers and struggle to cope with loud noise eg. People playing music talking loudly mostly at night. Can I request quieter halls when applying for accommodation?
I’m also wondering how sharing a kitchen works, I like to cook all my own meals so does everyone have there own shelf in the fridge or do you share things?
Is it difficult sharing because people often want to cook at the same time?
I’m just asking for all university’s in general to get an idea if I can stay in halls or not, thanks 😊
Original post by Artstudent500
So I’m currently looking at university’s and many of are far away so I would need to move out. I am feel nervous about the idea of moving into halls and wondered if anyone could tell me what it’s like? I’m particularly worried about noise as I have Aspergers and struggle to cope with loud noise eg. People playing music talking loudly mostly at night. Can I request quieter halls when applying for accommodation?
I’m also wondering how sharing a kitchen works, I like to cook all my own meals so does everyone have there own shelf in the fridge or do you share things?
I’m just asking for all university’s in general to get an idea if I can stay in halls or not, thanks 😊

Hi!
Most universities give you the option to request quieter halls so you could definitely do that.
In terms of the kitchen, it depends what uni you go to. Again, most uni's have enough room so that each person has their own cupboard, shelf in the fridge, and space in the freezer. You'll generally find that people don't always tend to cook at the same time but there is always enough room if a couple of people do decide to.
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:

Hi, I am a first year student and started at the start of October. I live in halls and I am pretty sure for most unis you can request for a quieter hall whereby after a certain time, you are not allowed to make loud noises, play loud music etc. In my accom, the walls are very thin
Thank you

Hi Artstudent500

Some universities have a wide choice of types of room. As others have said, you can ask for a quieter space, which should help. You could also investigate what other options are available at the Universities you are interested in. Here at Hull for example, we have self contained studio flats (some with shared social spaces), 1 bedroom flats, small flats with just 3 others, etc (https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/accommodation) .

You could also speak to the accommodation teams at the prospective places, and see what they say. If you have a recognised medical condition then I am sure they will have come across it before and be very helpful.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest