Entitlement after withdrawing studies due to compelling circumstances?

Watch
Mogga96
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I have a question regarding eligibility for full time study funding available if you had to withdraw your studies due to compelling reasons?

I previously studied in 2015. I Didn't complete the year, had to drop out for mental health reasons.

Tried again in 2016 and again, had to drop out for mental health reasons. I did not complete the year either.

Last attempt was in 2017 where I had to drop out to go back to work full time as my partner and I had a baby and was unable to arrange childcare, as well as mental health. This year, I also did not complete.

I was granted a "gift year" I believe for 2016 and for 2017, I had to provide evidence of my depression to be granted funding to cover the course.

I have started uni again on a part time basis, but would like to be able to go full time and complete my degree within a normal time frame.

I have also made friends on the same course that are full time and are such a supportive group and I would like to be able to stay studying with them as my progress in just these initial couple of weeks is leaps and bounds ahead of my previous attempts at university level of study.

I have now a diagnosis of what my mental health issues are (Borderline Personality Disorder) and have a good support network in place.

My question is, would I be able to apply for compelling personal circumstances to receive funding for a 3 year full time course (with a placement year), or is that not an option for me? I was only ever on the course I studied each time for a few months.

All previous attempt were for 3 year (with placement year) degree; the first two studying BSc Computer Science and the last attempt studying BSc Games Programming.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated, I am in a much better place now and would love to be able to do my degree full time.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What course are you wanting to study now?
Mogga96
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
What course are you wanting to study now?
BSc Computer Science currently on a part time basis. I am doing much better than before, so much so that I've been assigned as a course representative as my tutors are all very pleased and impressed with my progress. I am doing work assigned to me by my tutor that is a weeks worth ahead in my Java Programming classes as he is really happy with how I'm progressing with the work.

I'm more switched on and things make way more sense to me now, I have a clear and motived drive to complete and succeed on my course, which is evident in my work.

So switching to full-time is what I would love to do. They enrolled me to do all the credits of full-time whilst studying part-time by mistake and I've been offered to switch to full-time and keep the pace of my credits and study going as they are. But to do so, I need to know if I can get the funding for full-time.

I have spoken to SFE this morning and was told I can apply for compelling personal reasons/circumstances for my previous years of studies, supplying a cover letter detailing the issues I faced and proof from the doctors regarding my mental health etc. Which I am more than happy to do and I am to obtain the evidence.

Though the gentleman I spoke to said I need to fill in and submit a PN1 form, which I'm confused why I would have to apply that way, instead of doing it online via the website as it is the same process. Any insight into why this may be the case?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (16)
8.7%
Okay (56)
30.43%
A bit lacking (63)
34.24%
Not good at all (49)
26.63%

Watched Threads